Students anticipate victory at UF

The fight begins.

As the Hurricanes and the Gators prepare to square off on the field tomorrow, Hurricane fans are doing a little preparation of their own.

Bags are being packed by the few going to Gainesville, and plans are being made by the many who will watch the game from campus.

Anticipating what is considered the first “real” game by most of the student body, tensions are mounting and spirits are high.

Unlike last week’s game against FAMU, freshman Lindsey Hanlon anticipates “a very physical game, with the ‘Canes, of course, coming out on top.”

“It’ll be difficult, but I’m positive UM will triumph,” freshman Jamie Songer said.

Freshman Rachael Burg is also optimistic although she wishes the game was a home game.

“Out of all the games I had to miss,” she said, “it had to be the UF game. I know it’ll be a great showdown and the Gators don’t stand a chance.”

The ‘Canes and the Gators haven’t met each other on the field for a seasonal game since 1987 and the stakes couldn’t be higher for both teams.

Not only is the win a toss-up, but quarterbacks Ken Dorsey and Rex Grossman are competitors for this year’s coveted Heisman trophy.

This competitive factor will only add another ingredient to this already flammable mix.

“Grossman vs. Dorsey?” said junior Jason Warsaw. “Only one can be the best. My money’s on Dorsey.”

“We’ve beat them before and I’m confident we’ll beat them again,” said freshman Drew Kelly. “The Gators got nothing on us.”

“Amazing! After all this time, they still think they can beat us!” freshman Gina Licciardi said.

The rivalry between the Hurricanes and the Gators has gone on for what seems like forever.

This Saturday will be their 51st meeting on the field.

For many students, however, the rivalry goes beyond just football.

Senior Richard Rand III cautioned, “Watch out ’cause the Hurricanes are gonna blow their trailer park away.”

Junior Taylor Graham joined Rand in saying, “Those trailer-trash Gainesville people don’t stand a chance.”

“I expect a complete, total shutdown,” said sophomore Alexander Cardenas, “a scoreless competition.”

Sophomore Aldo Berti said he expects “the same results as two years ago at the Sugar Bowl without the blood.”

Victory has become the battle cry of UM.

“All I’m saying,” said freshman Randi Melton, “is that the Gators should feel honored to be beaten by such a worthy team like the ‘Canes.”

Hurricane pride is rampant. Everyone is confident that Saturday will be another claimed victory by the Canes.

“After all, it’s not a question of who will win,” said sophomore Ricardo Maristany. “The question is, what’s the score gonna be?”

“I mean, come on,” followed freshman Alyssa Gross. “Were we or were we not National Champions last year? What’s there to discuss?”

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...