Listen to unique music, sports & more on WVUM

Did you know that the University of Miami has a student-run radio station? Well we do. WVUM 90.5fm is entering our 35th year of live broadcasting. What began as a pirate station in the 1960’s is now one of the leading independent stations in South Florida.

Offering a wide variety of music, news, and sports programming, we do our best to keep our listeners in the Miami area entertained.

So what kind of music does WVUM play? I suppose a general rule of thumb that we try and follow here is that we do not play music that can be heard on any other area stations – because what’s the point of that?

WVUM is the only station around where you will hear artists such as Wilco, EL-P, Sonic Youth or the Breeders.

The independent music we play is not limited to one genre. We have specialty shows dedicated to all different types of music. From world music, to hip hop, to punk, goth, jazz, electric and even classical; we basically have everyone’s tastes covered. Those shows are only a tip of the iceberg as well.

Additionally, we bring you timely news shows that deal with the issues that effect you – the students of the University of Miami. WVUM is also the only station that broadcasts every single game of Hurricane baseball. In addition to hardball coverage, WVUM also broadcasts all home football games, every women’s basketball game and select men’s basketball games.

WVUM is also a great place for UM student organizations to promote their activities on air. With announcements running up to twice an hour, many of the school’s organizations have gained notoriety with the help of WVUM.

Every member of the WVUM staff, be they DJ’s, newscasters, sportscasters, or engineers, are all full-time students here at UM. This means that you, too, can become involved.

If you are interested in working with our radio station, stop by our office, located just outside of the University Center, or call us at 305/284.3131.

If you want to check us out on the air, turn your dial to 90.5fm. If you would like to see us in person, come to the UC patio starting Wednesday September 18th, for our “Wednesday Groove” session

As the General Manager of the station, I am here to help WVUM for the better. Those of you who know about the station and the recent history of it will be pleased with some of the changes we are going through. Our main goal, though, is to give the students here at UM a chance to listen to and discover some fun music on the radio, and also to become as involved as they want to be in all the many different facets of our station.

Jesse Agler, General Manager of WVUM. Jesse can be reached at j.agler@umiami.edu

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...