Holiday Inn is not home

Residential life on campus is supposed to be about socializing in the dorms and meeting new people, but for some UM students this semester is more about “Do Not Disturb” signs and continental breakfasts.

For the second straight year, the administration has miscalculated the appropriate numbers for admissions, forcing over 200? students to call the Holiday Inn home.

When students envisioned life at UM, the Holiday Inn was not likely part of their plan. For many of them, the lush campus may have been a selling point in their decision to attend. Now they find themselves divided from campus by busy US1. Though they are in close proximity to campus, they’re a million miles away from the experience they should be having in the dorms.

While HBO and maid service may seem enticing, it cannot make up for the fact that hundreds of students are being robbed of the college experience they deserve. They paid to live in the dorms…they did not pay to live in a hotel room at the Holiday Inn.

We understand the university wants to maximize profits by admitting as many students as possible. But their desire to fill this campus to maximum capacity seems to have backfired once again. The university is now shelling out thousands of dollars a day in hotel bills, as irate parents are left to wonder why their children are without campus housing.

We hope the administration will consider re-evaluating their policy for admissions so every student has a dorm room to call home. We know they want to welcome everybody, but they should acknowledge this pursuit is leaving many students feeling unwelcome.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...