Unfamiliar faces to see playing time

The Miami Hurricanes lost 18 lettermen from the 2001 national championship, including 12 starters from that bunch. If Larry Coker’s team wants to have a chance at repeating the feat, then he will need help from several of the new faces.

41 freshmen don the Hurricanes’ uniform this season, some who look to make an immediate impact similar to Frank Gore’s last season. Head coach Larry Coker has named first-year players to the fullback and left cornerback positions, respectively. Several other Miami freshmen should see a lot of plays with the second-team unit, while some look to make their initial impact on special teams

The secondary could be where Hurricane fans have the most trouble recognizing some of the new numbers. Two of those freshmen are in the mix for serious playing time in the defensive backfield. Coaches project Kelly Jennings, a redshirt freshman from Live Oak, Florida, to start at one cornerback position, while another redshirt freshman, Marcus Maxey, looks to get a lot of work at strong safety.

The linebacking core spotlights some fresh blood as well. Many people tout 6-4, 225 Leon Williams as the next great middle linebacker in the University of Miami program. Williams begins this year behind Jonathan Vilma at that spot. Redshirt freshman Rocky McIntosh may also get a lot of time at the strong side, as he begins the year as the second-teamer at that spot.

The defensive line remains intact from last season, as 11 lettermen return to the front. However, look for undersized, yet hard-working Thomas Carroll to lead the crop of freshman pushing for playing time on the front four.

On the other side of the ball, the Hurricanes lost all but four of their starters from 2001, so there is a gaping hole for newcomers to try to close off this season. Several freshmen will be

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...