Miami vs FAMU 7:00PM Saturday

UM
Quarterbacks: Ken Dorsey will be out to prove that he is among the nation’s elite quarterbacks. He will prove last season’s success was not only due to his outstanding O-line.
Running Backs: Willis McGahee has impressed the coaching staff in practice and is ready to make a good impression to help ease the loss of Clinton Portis to the NFL. Converted wide receiver Jason Geathers has explosive speed backing up McGahee.

Wide Receivers: Andre Johnson will have no trouble stretching the field against the FAMU secondary. Kevin Beard and Ethenic Sands return from last year’s unit, while newcomer Roscoe Parrish will impress.
Offensive Line: There has been a lot of focus on Miami’s O-line. The ‘Canes will have three new starters along with seniors Brett Romberg and Sherko Haji-Rasouli. The unit is clearly not as good as last year, but will still dominate their opponents.
Defensive Line: Miami may have the deepest unit in the nation, but will be slowed down early due to the injured Andrew Williams and Jerome McDougle. William Joseph and Matt Walters return at the tackles, while Jamal Green and Cornelius Green will start at the ends.
Linebackers: Middle linebacker Jonathan Vilma is primed for a breakout season after making his name noticed in the 2001 Rose Bowl run. Weakside linebacker D.J. Williams is also ready to have a monster season, with Howard Clark starting on the strong side.
Secondary: The biggest question mark on the Miami team will be tested early against a FAMU team that loves to throw the ball. Sophomore strong safety Sean Taylor has impressed the coaching staff with his ability to hit often and hard.
Special Teams: UM punter Freddie Capshaw is on the 2002 Ray Guy Award watch list as a candidate for the top collegiate punter of the year. Placekicker Todd Sievers has become almost automatic.

FAMU
Quarterbacks: Four-year starter Brock Nutter leads a spread out offense that loves to go downfield. Nutter has not faced a secondary even close to the caliber of the Canes.
Running Backs: The FAMU rushing attack will struggle mightily against the ferocious UM front seven. The Ratlers top returning rusher is junior Edward Baker who rushed for only 100 yards on eight carries in 2001.

Wide Receiver: FAMU will run four and five receiver sets led by seniors Marco Junious (33 receptions and three TDs in 2001) and Charlie Allen (46 receptions and two TDs). However, the spread out offense will struggle if the Ratlers fail to rush the ball effectively.
Offensive Line: The O-line is a big concern for FAMU, as they return only three players who saw extensive playing time last season. Will have a lot in store for them facing the UM D-line.

Defensive Line: FAMU has a good set of ends in junior Sean Kelly (13 sacks last season) and sophomore Jeff Green. The tackles may be too undersized to get enough push against the UM front.

Linebackers:The strongest unit on the Ratlers squad. Senior Alex Fortson, who recorded 58 tackles and seven sacks in 2001, will be all over the field.

Secondary: An experienced unit led by junior safety Levy Brown (team-high 98 tackles in 2001) and junior cornerback and Miami native Shedrick Copeland. Ratlers’ secondary has never faced as potent of a passing attack as Miami.

Special Teams: Levy Brown will return kicks and punts. Junior placekicker Juan Vasquez was only three-of-11 in field goal attempts in 2001.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...