Yaron Intramural field gets a facelift

Fitness and exercise can go beyond the walls of a building. For those who like to exercise outdoors, whether playing a sport or just goofing off, the newly updated Michael Yaron fields located directly behind the Wellness Center offer just that.

The Intramural Fields, as they used to be called, were given the name the Michael Yaron Fields in honor of the man who donated the money necessary to fix them up. The fields are used for club sports, intramural sports and open recreation time for those who like to toss around a football or just play soccer with friends.

The fields were given a $1 million face-lift in the summer of 2001. Updates include an irrigation system, replacing troublesome crabgrass with nicer grass, a lighting system that rivals baseball stadiums and even surveillance cameras. Perhaps most helpful is a lightning detection system that forms a canopy over the fields if lightning were to strike, protecting everyone beneath it.

Registration for intramurals begins the first day of fall classes and is open to any undergrad, grad, medical or law student in any grade level. Some intramural sports offered are football, soccer, basketball, softball, and volleyball.

The Wellness Center provides a Free Agent Program that offers students a chance to meet others interested in playing on team sports but do not have enough people to make a team.

Before the renovations, the fields were open to the public. Now only Wellness Center members have access to the fields, which are monitored by staff during Wellness Center hours.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...