Welcome to the University of Miami.

Take time to get to know the campus, the people, the academic community and the university as a whole.

You’ll find this is a very exciting time to be a Hurricane. The football team is ready to defend its national championship. Donna Shalala just finished her first year as president. And new buildings are sprouting on campus, including an exciting new basketball arena.

The school stands poised to take a quantum leap in its already widely acclaimed academic standing.

You couldn’t have picked a better time to be here.

But as you bask in the South Florida sun, don’t take UM for granted. It needs your help, your involvement and your commitment. You can make a big difference on this campus.

As your mother no doubt told you: “College is what you make of it.” My advice is to listen to Mom.

Don’t blend in. Stand out. Get involved.

Check out the clubs and academic organizations. Check out the student government. And as editor of the student newspaper, I urge you to check out the Miami Hurricane.

This newspaper is the voice of the university community. It’s designed to reflect your needs, your thoughts and your interests. But it can only do so with your input and support.

The paper allows you to sound-off in our Opinion section, get updated on the latest in campus sports, find out all the breaking news at UM, and offers the best in features and entertainment news in our Accent section.

But we need new faces and fresh ideas. We want people who are not afraid of being challenged. And we want your help.

Stop by and see us when you get to campus and get settled. We’re looking for reporters, copy editors and just people who want to lend a helping hand. Our offices are located on the second floor of the University Center and our doors are always open.

We publish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays.

You can make a big difference on the paper. And you can make a big difference on campus.

It’s all up to you.

Sincerely,

Jordan Rodack

Miami Hurricane Editor

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...