The Rat: a place to unwind, regroup, listen, play, chill, eat, drink

Senior Ben Bausher found a way to sum up the Rathskeller in just a few words:

“Good people, good bands, good food.”

The Rathskeller is a popular student hangout that offers great food and a variety of entertainment during the school year. For new students, it’s a fun place to hang out; for older students, it is a tradition.

The Rathskeller’s patio, which sits by Lake Osceola, is a scenic spot that draws a crowd on sunny afternoons. Inside, the downstairs of the octagon-shaped building holds the restaurant. The upstairs circles and overlooks the restaurant and has pool tables, TVs, and sofas. Bonus: Pool and dart games are free, a word that students always love to hear!

“We try to make it as laid back as possible,” said Alexis Martinez, who is the head of the Rathskeller Advisory Board, a student-run group in charge of handling Rathskeller issues such as renovations, scheduling events, and quality control.

Martinez said the board’s mission is “to make sure that the quality of the entertainment and the quality of the restaurant as a whole meets the standards of the students and the faculty.”

The Rathskeller’s entertainment lineup includes live local and student bands, talent contests, karaoke, open mic nights, comedians, and local dj’s. Everett Price, the Rathskeller’s manager, said that it is a good place for students to hang out with friends or to get good food at a reasonable price.

“We try and do something for everybody,” he said.

Price said the Rathskeller’s most popular dishes include burgers, chicken fingers and chicken pitas. Cane Cards are accepted. Some students come to the Rathskeller for the events; some just stop by to meet friends; then there are those who come for happy hour …

The Rathskeller is the only place on campus that serves alcohol. The Friday afternoon happy hour, from 4-7 is popular with the 21+ crowd.

“Where else can you get a Simpsons happy hour?” Rathskeller employee Kristin Blatherwick said, referring to the cartoon that was being played behind her on a 15-ft. screen.

The Rathskeller prides itself on having something for everyone. It appeals to people who want to have a high-energy gathering with friends and people who just want a place to unwind.

Senior Lauren Eisenberg said that she often goes there to regroup on Fridays, when she is done with her classes.

“It’s a good place to start off the weekend.”

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...