The Greatest Backyard on Earth

Where else does one have access to all the major theme parks and amazing natural beauty, all within a five hour drive? Florida is a kid’s paradise when it comes to having the best backyard imaginable. With a few friends, about $150, inexpensive hotels and great deals (which abound year-round), great weekends are just a drive away.

Orlando

The Mecca of tourists. Here we find Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Wet’n’Wild, Sea World, and little-known complex called Walt Disney World – which in itself comprises four major parks, countless resorts, three water parks and a public transportation system better than Miami’s. This, of course, is not counting all the lesser tourist attractions like Ripley’s Believe It or Not or Church Street.

Average entrance for any of the major parks is $50, and is likely to be the greatest expense on a weekend getaway. Hotels can be found for as low as $40 or $50 a night, so, split among two or three friends, it should not run you into the ground. Factor in $20 for food each day (we’re talking supermarket, here, kids, not going out), and you’re set.

Tampa

Not as many options as Orlando, but also not as crowded and just as nice. Parks are limited to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island, but since both are owned by Anheuser-Busch, most likely, there will be a cheapening deal if you buy tickets for both.

The Keys

Natural beauty abounds on each and every one of these small islands. Here, one can snorkel, dive, and even make the trek to one of the more remote islands for camping. One must not, however, neglect Key West.

Key West is the place with the most bars (and churches) per capita in the country. A few hours south on U.S. 1 lies the infamous Duval Crawl (on Duval Street – how clever…) and some amazing beaches. Besides drinking costs, a weekend here will cost next to nothing – the youth hostel is a mere $22.50 a night for non-Hostelling International members.

The Everglades

Definitely for the more rugged types. One and a half million acres of preserved wild fauna and flora definitely have their value, however, the temperature and the mosquitoes will, undoubtedly, be obscene. If that doesn’t faze you, make sure to arrange for a boat or kayak, since that’s the best way to experience this amazing national park.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...