Swim, dive teams make a splash

With dissolution close at hand, the men’s swimming and diving teams are sure going out with a bang.

Due to Title IX restrictions the squads are being phased out, yet the Hurricanes continue to wrack up individual achievements.

Miami placed divers Imre Lengyel, Stefan Ahrens and Miguel Velazquez on the NCAA Swimming & Diving Men’s All-America team for the 2001-2002 season.

Lengyel won a national championship in the platform event at the NCAA meet at the University of Georgia. He also placed second in the 3-meter diving competition.

He took second in the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the Zone B Diving Championships in Lexington, Kentucky to qualify for nationals. He was named 2002 Big East Most Outstanding Men’s Diver after capturing confernce titles in both the 1- and 3-meter events in February. In 2000, Lengyel competed for the Hungarian Olympic team and was first honored as the Big East Most Outstanding Men’s Diver.

Ahrens finished fourth in the 1-meter diving event to make the All-America team. He finished 11th in the 3-meter.

His fourth place finish in the 1-meter event at the Zone B Diving Championships qualified him for nationals. He also took fourth in the 3-meter at the Big East Championships. Ahrens competed in his first Olympic games in 2000 in the 3-meter springboard, finishing ninth as a member of the German Olympic Team.

Velazquez, a freshman, captured fourth in the platform event to win All-America honors. He placed 10th in the 3-meter and 11th in the 1-meter.

He finished 3rd in the platform, 10th in the 3-meter and 13th in the 1-meter at the Zone B Diving Championships to qualify for NCAA’s. Velazquez finished second at the Big East Championships in February in the 1-meter and third in the 3-meter.

Miami diving has had at least one men’s diving national champion for the past 12 seasons.

In the swimming department, Wesley Stoddard was named the men’s most valuable swimmer. Stoddard held the fastest times this season for the men in the 500 free (4:35.23), 1000 free (9:42.85), 1650 free (16:00.25) and 400 IM (4:05.90).

On the women’s side, sophomore Manon van Rooijen holds two individual school records in the 100 & 200 freestyle and three relay records. She was named 2002 Big East Outstanding Women’s Swimmer and earned All-America honors in the 100 & 200 freestyle events.

Senior diver Michelle Davison garnered All America honors by placing fourth in the 1-meter diving event and fifth in the 3-meter competition at the 2002 NCAA’s. Davison was named 2002 Big East Women’s Diver of the Year on Feb. 24 at the conference championships.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...