Sophomore Hilland paves course for Miami women’s golf team

For the University of Miami women’s golf team, one star shined brighter than the rest in 2001-2002.

Sophomore Camilla Hilland, a native of Lommendalen, Norway, and one of Miami’s best golfers her freshman season, led an improved Hurricane squad that recorded several top-10 finishes.

Hilland capped off her year capturing the Ryder Florida Women’s Collegiate Championships in April for her first collegiate tournament win. Hilland’s three-round score of 219 gave her the tournament by one stroke, becoming the first Hurricane to accomplish such a feat since Tracy Kerdyk in 1988.

“This is very special,” Hilland said. “I felt very relaxed coming into the tournament so I thought I would play well. But to win here in front of my family and friends makes it even more special.”

The team, meanwhile, began their season at the Beacon Woods Invitational in Bayonet Point, Fla. After a seventh-place finish there, the Hurricanes went on to participate in three more fall tournaments. Their best result was a sixth-place finish at the Mission Inn Invitational in Leesburg, Fla. Hilland meanwhile quietly put together a string of top-five finishes during that span, the best being the runner-up at the Alabama Capstone. Freshman Tina Miller also made a name of herself, finishing eighth at Mission Inn.

The Hurricanes would pick up their play in the Spring, beginning with a second-place finish at the Lady Moc Classic in Lakeland in March. Hilland continued to post strong results, but Miller was the top golfer during the tournament, finishing third. Sophomore Jazmin Cataldo placed one spot behind Miller.

Miller finished fourth at the Waterlefe Invitational on Mar.19, while the Hurricanes placed seventh. That was the final result before the state championships, in which Hilland regained her old form.

The 22-year old Norwegian fired back-to-back 70’s to take a commanding lead in the tournament heading into the final round. Although bad weather forced her to shoot a 79 on the final day, Hilland sank an 18-foot par put on the final hole that gave her the trophy.

“Camilla had a great tournament,” head golf coach Lela Cannon said. “There are so many great players and so many great teams competing here that to be able to handle the pressure and hold on for the victory is fantastic.”

With the win, Hilland also earned a spot in the NCAA East Regional in Baton Rouge, La., becoming the first Hurricane golfer to qualify since 1998. She finished in 34th place there, firing a three-round total of 223.

Any disappointment Hilland may have felt with her finish, however, was erased a month later when she was named the NCAA Independent Player of the Year. In addition, Hilland and Miller received first-team honors, while Cannon was named Coach of the Year.

With Hilland, Miller, Cataldo and senior Dominique Gagnon returning, the Hurricanes should continue to improve out on the links.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...