SG President welcome freshmen

Dear New Students,

On behalf of the Student Government at the University of Miami, I would like to congratulate you on your admission to this great institution.

I remember first setting foot on this campus, standing in awe looking at the future I had ahead of me. I stood in front of Hecht Residential College, excited but nervous. I had so many ambitions and goals that I knew I was going to accomplish. As I kept walking, I knew I made the right decision to come to the University of Miami.

As you read this, you will be feeling the emotions that I felt three years ago. It is only natural to feel the anticipation of experiencing something you yet not know. The transitions to university life will not necessarily be easy, but Student Government will be here to help you.

I am so excited about this year. I have been told that your freshman class is one of the best to be accepted at this university. There is no doubt in my mind that you and your fellow students will leave a positive mark on the University of Miami.

So far, I have had over 100 new students contact me and ask what they should do to “make it” at the university. My response is almost the same for everyone. First of all, go to all of the Orientation events. The Department of Orientation and three Program Coordinators have put together an unbelievable program for you this year. Orientation will tell you everything you want and need to know about the university.

When I lived on campus, I had a great time. My door was always open, and I met many new friends. If you are going to commute to campus, spend as much time at the university as possible. Make the university a second home.

Next, I highly recommend that everyone get involved in student organizations. I think one of the best ways to get involved is through Greek Life. Fraternities and sororities promote strong academics and leadership. I encourage everyone to rush. By rushing, you are going to meet hundreds of new friends. Remember, rushing in no way obligates you to join a fraternity or sorority. You can also stop by Student Activities, University Center room 209. Student Activities has over 200 organizations that will be able to meet your interests.

Lastly, I think it is a great idea to have fun. College is a great experience, and there are plenty of things to do down here at Miami.

If you have any questions, you can email me personally at johnston@umiami.edu. You may also call the Student Government at 305-284-3082. I, as well as the rest of SG, are here to make sure you have the best experience possible. Have a great summer and I will see you in the fall.

Sincerely,
Michael A. Johnston
Student Government President

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...