SG President welcome freshmen

Dear New Students,

On behalf of the Student Government at the University of Miami, I would like to congratulate you on your admission to this great institution.

I remember first setting foot on this campus, standing in awe looking at the future I had ahead of me. I stood in front of Hecht Residential College, excited but nervous. I had so many ambitions and goals that I knew I was going to accomplish. As I kept walking, I knew I made the right decision to come to the University of Miami.

As you read this, you will be feeling the emotions that I felt three years ago. It is only natural to feel the anticipation of experiencing something you yet not know. The transitions to university life will not necessarily be easy, but Student Government will be here to help you.

I am so excited about this year. I have been told that your freshman class is one of the best to be accepted at this university. There is no doubt in my mind that you and your fellow students will leave a positive mark on the University of Miami.

So far, I have had over 100 new students contact me and ask what they should do to “make it” at the university. My response is almost the same for everyone. First of all, go to all of the Orientation events. The Department of Orientation and three Program Coordinators have put together an unbelievable program for you this year. Orientation will tell you everything you want and need to know about the university.

When I lived on campus, I had a great time. My door was always open, and I met many new friends. If you are going to commute to campus, spend as much time at the university as possible. Make the university a second home.

Next, I highly recommend that everyone get involved in student organizations. I think one of the best ways to get involved is through Greek Life. Fraternities and sororities promote strong academics and leadership. I encourage everyone to rush. By rushing, you are going to meet hundreds of new friends. Remember, rushing in no way obligates you to join a fraternity or sorority. You can also stop by Student Activities, University Center room 209. Student Activities has over 200 organizations that will be able to meet your interests.

Lastly, I think it is a great idea to have fun. College is a great experience, and there are plenty of things to do down here at Miami.

If you have any questions, you can email me personally at johnston@umiami.edu. You may also call the Student Government at 305-284-3082. I, as well as the rest of SG, are here to make sure you have the best experience possible. Have a great summer and I will see you in the fall.

Sincerely,
Michael A. Johnston
Student Government President

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...