Rowing finishes sixth at Big East Finals

The University of Miami women’s rowing finished sixth overall at the Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.

Miami’s varsity eight qualified for the Petite Final, where it finished first with a time of 7:08.21, ahead of Connecticut (7:09.44) and Georgetown (7:29.14). Syracuse placed first in the Grand Final, ahead of Notre Dame (+6.07), Boston College (+13.95), Villanova (+14.83), Rutgers (+28.08) and West Virginia (+29.06).

The varsity eight consisted of Jenny Lee (coxswain), Jenny Krawec, Anna Cohen, Marijka VanderPol, Jacqui Julien, Jordanna Heywood, Monika Manios, Mandy Turner and Ananda Chou.

UM’s JV eight placed fourth in the Grand Final (7:24.68), behind Syracuse (7:04.15), Notre Dame (7:04.70) and Boston College (7:21.95). UM placed ahead of Connecticut (7:33.72) and Georgetown (7:35.22). The JV eight featured Meg Venezia (coxswain), Kate Weeden, Caroline Stuart, Julie Crane, Alli Nelson, Maggie Knuth, Yassi Hairinia, Sara Grossman and Yennisha Pino.

The varsity four finished seventh in the Grand Final with a time of 8:02.12. Notre Dame “A” won the race (7:27.40). The varsity four was April Runkle (coxswain), Laraine Martin, Melissa Saunders, Rachel Sander and Dorothy Clay.

The novice eight finished sixth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:09.31. Syracuse won the novice eight race with a time of 7:16.83. The novice eight consisted of Maureen Haley (coxswain), Ericka Miller, Tyler McHugh-Merrill, Patrice Wakeley, Michelle Owens, Liz Miller, Jo Manula, Deirdre Curran and Mary Radlinski.

The novice four finished fourth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:49.21. Syracuse won the novice four race with a time of 8:21.00. The novice four was Dana Litt (coxswain), Harlee Bustamante, May Lauron, Alana Smith and Makana Tocman.

– The University of Miami Novice Women’s Rowing Program will hold its first information meeting on Friday, Aug. 30, in the Hecht Athletic Center at 5821 San Amaro Drive.

Additionally, there will be a Novice Women’s Rowing information table set up in the front of the University Center between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Aug. 25-28.

For further information on the University of Miami’s Novice women’s rowing program contact Elizabeth Payer at the rowing offices at 305-284-3211 on campus and 305-861-1295 at the Ron Shane Watersports Center/Boathouse. Coach Payer can also be reached at epayer@miami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...