Rowing finishes sixth at Big East Finals

The University of Miami women’s rowing finished sixth overall at the Big East Women’s Rowing Challenge on Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.

Miami’s varsity eight qualified for the Petite Final, where it finished first with a time of 7:08.21, ahead of Connecticut (7:09.44) and Georgetown (7:29.14). Syracuse placed first in the Grand Final, ahead of Notre Dame (+6.07), Boston College (+13.95), Villanova (+14.83), Rutgers (+28.08) and West Virginia (+29.06).

The varsity eight consisted of Jenny Lee (coxswain), Jenny Krawec, Anna Cohen, Marijka VanderPol, Jacqui Julien, Jordanna Heywood, Monika Manios, Mandy Turner and Ananda Chou.

UM’s JV eight placed fourth in the Grand Final (7:24.68), behind Syracuse (7:04.15), Notre Dame (7:04.70) and Boston College (7:21.95). UM placed ahead of Connecticut (7:33.72) and Georgetown (7:35.22). The JV eight featured Meg Venezia (coxswain), Kate Weeden, Caroline Stuart, Julie Crane, Alli Nelson, Maggie Knuth, Yassi Hairinia, Sara Grossman and Yennisha Pino.

The varsity four finished seventh in the Grand Final with a time of 8:02.12. Notre Dame “A” won the race (7:27.40). The varsity four was April Runkle (coxswain), Laraine Martin, Melissa Saunders, Rachel Sander and Dorothy Clay.

The novice eight finished sixth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:09.31. Syracuse won the novice eight race with a time of 7:16.83. The novice eight consisted of Maureen Haley (coxswain), Ericka Miller, Tyler McHugh-Merrill, Patrice Wakeley, Michelle Owens, Liz Miller, Jo Manula, Deirdre Curran and Mary Radlinski.

The novice four finished fourth in the Grand Final with a time of 8:49.21. Syracuse won the novice four race with a time of 8:21.00. The novice four was Dana Litt (coxswain), Harlee Bustamante, May Lauron, Alana Smith and Makana Tocman.

– The University of Miami Novice Women’s Rowing Program will hold its first information meeting on Friday, Aug. 30, in the Hecht Athletic Center at 5821 San Amaro Drive.

Additionally, there will be a Novice Women’s Rowing information table set up in the front of the University Center between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Aug. 25-28.

For further information on the University of Miami’s Novice women’s rowing program contact Elizabeth Payer at the rowing offices at 305-284-3211 on campus and 305-861-1295 at the Ron Shane Watersports Center/Boathouse. Coach Payer can also be reached at epayer@miami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...