Hurricane Productions promises great shows to come

When most people read the abbreviation HP, they think Hewlett Packard, a renowned organization. However, HP at the University of Miami has a different meaning. In Canes Town, HP is the renowned Hurricane Productions.

Hurricane Productions is an organization that produces many of the major events on the University of Miami campus. Hurricane Productions programs major concerts, movies at the Cosford Cinema, and recreational events on campus. Last year, Hurricane Productions brought Ludacris to campus. The rain was poring, but yet, there was an attendance of over 4,000 people.

“It was a great concert,” remarked Junior Jon Duerr.

The University of Miami’s theater is located on the second floor of the Memorial Building. The Bill Cosford Theater hosts many movies, with a couple sneak previews during the year. However, seating is limited, so people must grab tickets in advance in the HP office.

A big advocate of keeping students on campus by increasing programming is President Donna Shalala. Last year, President Shalala allocated money towards a pilot-programming project. The money was allocated to Student Activities to increase the amount of programs on campus. Since last year programs were such a success, President Shalala decided to increase funding for the upcoming year.

“Last year, we had late night programs, bands, movies, comedy shows, Jazz Nights at the Rat, and many other programs,” remarked Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia A. Whitely.

This year, Hurricane Productions has created a new branch to their organization, Canes Night Live (CNL). Canes Night Live is a subdivision of HP, whose focus is to organize great late night programs.

“This year, an additional $70,000 was given to specifically for late night programming,” said Whitely.

Hurricane Productions is a great way to get involved on campus. Not only is it a great extracurricular activity, it is a great entrance into the entertainment world. The student members of HP are the people who organize bands and concerts, negotiate contracts, and manage all publicity. So, if any students are interested in this area, it is an opportunity that should not be overlooked.

If you are interested in Hurricane Productions, or would like to see upcomming events, visit the website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/hp.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...