GLBC supports UM

Since its inception in 1991, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Community (GLBC) at the University of Miami has been meeting the needs of the entire University community with services, education and support. Everyone is welcome – gay, straight, or bisexual.

The GLBC plays an integral role in student life, offering programs on diversity, health topics, legal issues and social issues unique to the gay community. Additionally, several social events including gay bowling, gay skate, and Will and Grace night, to name a few, are a popular draw for UM students.

The GLBC shares a positive and supportive relationship with other student organizations including Student Government, United Black Students, fraternities and sororities and several of the religious groups on campus, and co-programs with these groups on a regular basis.

One of the traditional activities is the annual Coming Out Week, held the second week of October. Activities include Opening Ceremony and Concert, speaker series, and the Stop the Hate Matthew Shepard Memorial candlelight vigil. The vigil is co-sponsored with several organizations and attendance is as diverse as the campus itself.

Diversity and sensitivity trainings are offered to students, faculty and staff to increase awareness of issues gay students face and to increase the support and ally network. Involvement in local political and social activities are also a part of the GLBC efforts.

The GLBC Resource Center and the Confidential Support Group offer information, resources and confidential support for gay students on campus. The support group is facilitated by a staff member from the Counseling Center on campus.

The confidentiality of all members of the group is of the utmost importance. Not all students are comfortable with others knowing of their sexual orientation and that is constantly stressed in all of the meetings.

The GLBC meets on Thursday evenings at 8 p.m. in the University Center (UC), 2nd floor. Room locations are posted on the GLBC office door, UC 244. For more information, please call 305-284-5520 or email us at glbc.studorg@miami.edu or check out our website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/glbc . Look for us at Cane Fest and during New Student Orientation (www.miami.edu/orientation). We are here for you – whether you come to the meetings or not – you are not alone at the University of Miami.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...