Debate team open to everyone

Having received a number of awards at a recent intercollegiate debate competition at Chicago’s Loyola University, the UM Debate Team has firmly established itself as one of the leading teams in the country.

According to the debate team’s mission statement, “Debaters should learn to demonstrate discipline, maturity, responsibility, and professionalism.” Even though such traits are expected of debate team participants, the organization is open to any qualified, full-time, undergraduate student.

As an added bonus, skills are cultivated in both public speaking and communication, “This is not an athletic team; it is an educational program and it is open to everyone,” says Mr. David Steinberg, debate team advisor. “Not only is it a fun thing to do, but it is a terrific networking and learning experience. It will help with every profession. Debate alumni lead the world in law, politics, education, and business,” says Steinberg.

Throughout the year the debate team travels to many tournaments around the nation, including the Southeast Region Championship at Georgia State University and the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship at California State University. For more information, please contact Mr. Steinberg at dave@miami.edu or (305) 284-5553.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...