Boniface, cross country dealing with leader’s departure

How does a team move forward after losing the only captain it’s ever known?

That’s the daunting task my young teammates and I will have to face during the 2002 cross-country season.

When I transferred to Miami in the fall of 2000, junior Jeff Gaulrapp of Baldwinsville, N.Y., was just taking over the reigns as captain of the UM cross country team. We were a rag-tag bunch, but had a good core of guys who wanted to run fast.

Under Gaulrapp’s guidance, we improved week by week, earning a surprising third place team finish at the Florida Intercollegiate Championships.

In 2000, Gaulrapp amassed perhaps the greatest season ever by a Hurricanes cross country runner, capped by clocking a sterling 24:37 school-record 8K at the Big East Championships at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. Gaulrapp earned All-State, All-Big East and All-Region honors that year.

In the following season, Gaulrapp continued his dominance, finishing as the top Hurricane in six of seven races.

Gaulrapp is one of the toughest runners with whom I’ve ever run. His poker-faced fa

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team will host FGCU for its annual Senior Day meet on ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record its 750th all-time ...