A personal celebration at commencement

By Mike Johnston
Special to the Hurricane
Many alumni can remember the time the graduated, sitting outside in the scorching summer heat. Commencement always was a beautiful ceremony, however, it was never very personal. Every student would stand with their peers, flip their tassel, and sit down. However, with President Donna Shalala, that has all changed.
“Every student will get their diploma from the President. Each student will be announced and personally acknowledged,” guarantees Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely.
President Shalala believes commencement should be a very personal experience, shared with the student’s family, as well as the community. Since every student has worked so hard to achieve their diploma, they deserve a picture with the president of their university.
This past Spring Commencement was a huge success, highly changed from the years past. This year, President Shalala took one large ceremony, and split it into three smaller, more personal ceremonies. Each ceremony took place under a huge, orange, green, and white tent with air conditioning. Every student was able to bring as many guests as he/she wanted.
Each ceremony has one student speaker, as well as one famous keynote speaker. Every graduating student’s name was announced; they walked up and received their diploma from President Shalala, took a picture with her, then proceeded to sit.
Student Government President Emeritus Jose “Pepi” Diaz was able to recollect his recent graduation. “It was so much better than last year, it will be something that I will remember for the rest of my life. Your college graduation day is surreal, so the personal feeling really helps you recollect the memories thereafter,” remarks Diaz.
In spring, the University of Miami will have a senior convocation. Senior Convocation is something that has never occurred before at the university. It will occur the night before graduation, and there will be one renowned speaker. The senior class shall choose this person, and President Shalala will do her best to get that person to come.
“I think the changes were outstanding, Spring Commencement was well received by the student and their families,” remarked Whitely.
Commencement is the last major stepping stone to any student career. This is a time that should be remembered, and be shared by all family and friends. This is why President Shalala has made it an unforgettable experience.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...