The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 2

#6
football
Miami 26 vs. VA Tech 24
A week after avenging 2000’s only loss to Washington, the ‘Canes secured their trip to the Rose Bowl thanks to a dropped 2-point conversion pass by Tech’s Ernest Wilford with 6:03 left and a stifling defense that sacked Hokie quarterback Grant Noel five times, intercepted four passes and recovered his fumble. Miami extended its nation-best winning streak to 21 games.

#7
Volleyball
Miami 3 vs. St. Johns 0
The ‘Canes dominated the Red Storm with a 3-0 sweep (30-26, 30-21 & 30-28) at the Knight Complex on the UM campus. The win over a Big East opponent gave Miami a glimpse of its future, as they will enter the league next fall. In their first season since 1981, head coach Nicole Lantagne led Miami to a 17-7 record.

#8
women’s soccer
Miami 1 vs. Florida 0
Deidre Bass scored the biggest goal of her career as she led the University of Miami soccer team to a 1-0 shutout over the No. 20-ranked Florida Gators. The early season victory built momentum for a young ‘Canes team that finished the season with a first round NCAA tournament loss to Georgia. Miami went 10-8-1 on the season.

#9
baseball
Miami 9 vs. Long Beach State 6
In the ‘Canes first game after being swept by FSU at Mark Light Stadium, junior Kevin Howard completed a 4-for-5 outing by hitting a walk-off three-run homer off Long Beach State reliever Daniel Eisentrager in the ninth. The jack handed the Hurricanes a 9-6 victory over No. 13 LB St. last Friday. UM went on to win the series and build momentum in hopes of saving their season.

#10
men’s basketball
Miami 84 vs. Georgetown 76
In the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament, Marcus Barnes scored five of his career-high 27 points in overtime to lead the ‘Canes to victory and to their third trip in four years to the Big East semifinals. The win ended Georgetown’s season and was the last victory of the year for Miami. Miami proceeded to lose 76-71 to Pittsburgh in the semifinals.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...