The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 2

#6
football
Miami 26 vs. VA Tech 24
A week after avenging 2000’s only loss to Washington, the ‘Canes secured their trip to the Rose Bowl thanks to a dropped 2-point conversion pass by Tech’s Ernest Wilford with 6:03 left and a stifling defense that sacked Hokie quarterback Grant Noel five times, intercepted four passes and recovered his fumble. Miami extended its nation-best winning streak to 21 games.

#7
Volleyball
Miami 3 vs. St. Johns 0
The ‘Canes dominated the Red Storm with a 3-0 sweep (30-26, 30-21 & 30-28) at the Knight Complex on the UM campus. The win over a Big East opponent gave Miami a glimpse of its future, as they will enter the league next fall. In their first season since 1981, head coach Nicole Lantagne led Miami to a 17-7 record.

#8
women’s soccer
Miami 1 vs. Florida 0
Deidre Bass scored the biggest goal of her career as she led the University of Miami soccer team to a 1-0 shutout over the No. 20-ranked Florida Gators. The early season victory built momentum for a young ‘Canes team that finished the season with a first round NCAA tournament loss to Georgia. Miami went 10-8-1 on the season.

#9
baseball
Miami 9 vs. Long Beach State 6
In the ‘Canes first game after being swept by FSU at Mark Light Stadium, junior Kevin Howard completed a 4-for-5 outing by hitting a walk-off three-run homer off Long Beach State reliever Daniel Eisentrager in the ninth. The jack handed the Hurricanes a 9-6 victory over No. 13 LB St. last Friday. UM went on to win the series and build momentum in hopes of saving their season.

#10
men’s basketball
Miami 84 vs. Georgetown 76
In the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament, Marcus Barnes scored five of his career-high 27 points in overtime to lead the ‘Canes to victory and to their third trip in four years to the Big East semifinals. The win ended Georgetown’s season and was the last victory of the year for Miami. Miami proceeded to lose 76-71 to Pittsburgh in the semifinals.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...