The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 2

#6
football
Miami 26 vs. VA Tech 24
A week after avenging 2000’s only loss to Washington, the ‘Canes secured their trip to the Rose Bowl thanks to a dropped 2-point conversion pass by Tech’s Ernest Wilford with 6:03 left and a stifling defense that sacked Hokie quarterback Grant Noel five times, intercepted four passes and recovered his fumble. Miami extended its nation-best winning streak to 21 games.

#7
Volleyball
Miami 3 vs. St. Johns 0
The ‘Canes dominated the Red Storm with a 3-0 sweep (30-26, 30-21 & 30-28) at the Knight Complex on the UM campus. The win over a Big East opponent gave Miami a glimpse of its future, as they will enter the league next fall. In their first season since 1981, head coach Nicole Lantagne led Miami to a 17-7 record.

#8
women’s soccer
Miami 1 vs. Florida 0
Deidre Bass scored the biggest goal of her career as she led the University of Miami soccer team to a 1-0 shutout over the No. 20-ranked Florida Gators. The early season victory built momentum for a young ‘Canes team that finished the season with a first round NCAA tournament loss to Georgia. Miami went 10-8-1 on the season.

#9
baseball
Miami 9 vs. Long Beach State 6
In the ‘Canes first game after being swept by FSU at Mark Light Stadium, junior Kevin Howard completed a 4-for-5 outing by hitting a walk-off three-run homer off Long Beach State reliever Daniel Eisentrager in the ninth. The jack handed the Hurricanes a 9-6 victory over No. 13 LB St. last Friday. UM went on to win the series and build momentum in hopes of saving their season.

#10
men’s basketball
Miami 84 vs. Georgetown 76
In the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament, Marcus Barnes scored five of his career-high 27 points in overtime to lead the ‘Canes to victory and to their third trip in four years to the Big East semifinals. The win ended Georgetown’s season and was the last victory of the year for Miami. Miami proceeded to lose 76-71 to Pittsburgh in the semifinals.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...