The Top Ten of ’01-’02 Part 1

#1
football
Miami 37 vs. Nebraska 14
An amazing performance in the Rose Bowl caps a perfect 12-0 season under first year head coach Larry Coker. Miami came out on fire and was up 34-0 at halftime. Ken Dorsey threw three touchdown passes, two to Andre Johnson, as both were named Co-MVP’s. Tailback Clinton Portis rushed for 104 yards and a touchdown. On defense, linebacker Jonathan Vilma led the Hurricanes with nine tackles and a quarterback sack.

#2
women’s tennis
Miami 4 vs. Notre Dame 1
The Miami women’s tennis team won the Big East championship by defeating rival and top-seeded Notre Dame four sets to one. Head coach Paige Yaroshuk was named Big East Coach of the Year and sophomore Mari Toro was named Most Outstanding Performer of the tournament. The victory earned the ‘Canes an automatic bid in the NCAA Championships that begin May 11.

#3
football
Miami 18 vs. Boston College 12
‘Cane fans just call it “the play”. Ed Reed completed a bizarre 80-yard interception return for a touchdown with 13 seconds left and the Eagles in prime scoring position, after he grabbed the ball out of teammate Matt Walters’ (who actually intercepted the pass) hands. Despite Dorsey throwing four interceptions, the Hurricanes avoided the upset, which could have put a halt to their Rose Bowl aspirations.

#4
mens basketball
Miami 68 vs. Connecticut 66
John Salmons’ 20 points led the ‘Canes to a thrilling two point victory over the Huskies in front of 10,000 plus fans at the Miami Arena. The win marked the sixth straight season that Miami has topped the Huskies at least once. Miami finished the season with a first round loss to Missouri in the NCCA tournament. The Hurricanes ended the 2001-2002 season ranked No. 21 in the nation, with a 24-8 record.

#5
womens basketball
Miami 57 vs. Texas 55
Chanivia Broussard scored 23 points and added six blocks and five steals to lead Miami to a 57-55 victory over No. 17 Texas that was decided by a video replay after time expired. Texas’ Tracy Cooks appeared to hit a game winning 3-pointer as time expired, but it was waved off.Sheila James’ 3-pointer with 18 seconds remaining sealed the win for the ‘Canes. Miami (19-12) finished the season with a second round loss to Houston in the NIT.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...