News Briefs and Campus Calendar

CANES FILM FESTIVAL SHOWCASES STUDENT FILMMAKERS’ TALENT

Although it’s more than 5,000 miles away from its more famous cousin in Cannes, France, the University of Miami’s Canes Film Festival also showcases the works of talented filmmakers.
What: Free and open to the public, the Canes Film Festival will showcase more than 50 short films and documentaries written and directed by students in the University of Miami’s graduate and undergraduate film programs. Films featured in the festival cover a wide variety of genres and were shot on locations ranging from Miami to Honduras to Moscow. The festival will also feature readings of scripts from students in the screenwriting program. Sample films include “Mooncalf,” a reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”; “In the Banya,” a story about female relationships shot on location in Moscow; “Advent,” a futuristic look at the evolution of the human race; and “Seeking: Ginger,” a comic ‘dance-ical’ about two senior citizens looking for love.

When:
6 – 10 pm, Fri., April 26
6 – 10 pm, Sat., April 27
5 – 10 pm, Sun., April 28

Where: The Bill Cosford Cinema Second floor, Memorial Building University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus Contact: For schedule, directions or more information, call the University of Miami Motion Pictures Department at (305) 284-6902 or visit www.canesfilmfestival.com. Contact: Heather Sokolow at (305) 662-7154 or (305) 284-6902

DISCOUNT PARKING SPACES ADDED

Beginning Fall 2002, the UM will offer 1,800 discount parking spaces at the Ponce Garage, Metro Lots North and South, Red Road Lots North and South, and Scodella and Liguria Lots, each with fast, convenient Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle service to points across campus. These discounted permits can be purchased when Parking Permits go on sale Monday, July 29. Questions? Call 305-284-3096, option 1.

UM RECEIVES $500,000 GIFT TO FIGHT
BREAST CANCER

UM’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and The Taylor Breast Health Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital received a $500,000 gift from the Avon Foundation yesterday. The gift comes from The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade and will fund research, diagnosis, treatment, and education of women in underserved communities. Judith Hurley, M.D., director of oncology clinics at JMH and a member of the breast cancer site-based disease group at UM/Sylvester, is the primary beneficiary of the gift.

ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA SORORITY INC. ‘S
BIRTHDAY

Alpha kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. Iota Nu chapter is celebrating its 27th birthday on April 30, 2002.

APRIL IS NATIONAL STI AWARENESS MONTH

The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

MENINGITIS VACCINATION CLINICS OFFERED IN
BREEZEWAY

Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who could not attend clinics.

PONCE GARAGE CLOSING FOR CONSTRUCTION

The Ponce Garage will be closed to all traffic and parking as of Friday, May 3, due to construction, which includes adding two floors of parking. The project is expected to be completed by August 2002. Alternate parking will be available at Coral Gables Municipal Lots 42 and 43, on Ponce de Leon Blvd. across the street from the Ponce Garage and Mark Light Baseball Stadium, as well as the Scodella, Liguria, Albenga, and Red Road North and South Lots. The Hub of the Hurry ‘Cane Shuttle service will relocate from
the Ponce Garage to the Metro North Lot. At the conclusion of the spring semester, shuttle service will operate its normal summer schedule and routes, excluding the Ponce Garage. For further information contact the Parking Department at 305-284-3096, option #1, or visit http://www.miami.edu/parking.

Sign-up for on-campus housing!

Today

Finals are approaching and so is crunch-time stress. If you are feeling overwhelmed with your studies, we can help! Join the folks at the Wellness Center for a relaxing day of movies and popcorn at the center Atrium. For more information contact 305-284-6524.

Looking for Spiritual Enrichment? Campus Advent will be having a Fellowship service today at 8p.m. at Mahoney-Pearson classroom. Join us for enlightening bib
le discussion.

Friday groove on Patio from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.
Happy Hour at the Rat from 4:30-8p.m.
Finals Fiesta from 4-6p.m.
Classes End at 11p.m.!

Saturday April 27

The School of Architecture and the UM Student Council is hosting a symposium titled Downtown Renaissance: New York Perspectives, 1 – 5 p.m., today at the Lowe Art Museum. Panelist include Terence Riley of the Museum of Modern Art, New York; Raymond Gastil, Van Alen Institute; Steve Kovats, Intertwilight, New York; and Alex Cooper of Cooper Robertson & Partners, New York. The event is free and open to the public. For reservations and more information call 305-284-3438.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...