Letter to the Editor

Re: Article in April 19 issue: “Candle promotes interfaith peace:”

The Hurricane is indeed a reputable and successful school newspaper. However, mistakes and misunderstandings do happen to all.

In the Friday April 19th’s article, “Candle Vigil Promotes Interfaith Peace”, there was one significant error, which resulted from a certain interpretation. I was misquoted saying, “Someone brought an American flag… I wouldn’t allow it in the ceremony. I’m against nationalism. That promotes wars.” This statement could be interpreted that I am against American pride in general. However, this interpretation would not be representative of my point of view.

Concurring with what I was genuinely implying, the quote should have stated, “…I am against nationalism at my vigil.” People bringing their country’s flag, be it American, or anywhere else, would modify the vigil’s main focus of a peaceful and uniting gathering to ALL people of ALL nationalities.

In conclusion, I would also like to thank the seventy participants and the university community at large for supporting this vigil.

Oded Ashkenazi is a sophomore majoring in Psychology.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...