UM football sets records

The University of Miami football team set new records for NFL draft picks in a single season and in consecutive years. The ‘Canes had 11 players drafted, the most ever by a school since the NFL draft went to a seven round format in 1994.
Five Hurricanes – offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie (7, Minnesota Vikings), tight end Jeremy Shockey (14, New York Giants), cornerback Phillip Buchanon (17, Oakland Raiders), safety Edward Reed (24, Baltimore Ravens) and cornerback Mike Rumph (26, San Francisco) were all selected in the first round Saturday to give UM an all-time record for most players drafted in the first round over two seasons.
With five players selected in the opening round, Miami has had a total of nine players taken in the first round over the 2001 and 2002 drafts, surpassing the record held by USC (1968-69) and Notre Dame (1993-94). The Hurricane’s five first round picks also tied USC’s (1969) record for most players from a single school taken in the first round.
Miami’s previous best two-year total was five, achieved three times (1987-88, 1988-89 and 2000-01).
Another Hurricane, tailback Clinton Portis (Denver Broncos), was drafted on the first day of the draft as well with the No. 51 pick in the second round
Miami’s previous best first round was last season, as four Hurricanes – defensive tackle Damione Lewis (11, St. Louis Rams), linebacker Dan Morgan (12, Carolina Panthers), receiver Santana Moss (16, New York Jets), and receiver Reggie Wayne (30, Indianapolis Colts) were taken in the first round.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...