Sports Briefs

MEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Junior Andre Johnson won the 100-meters, and senior Gerald Wise took first in the javelin to lead the University of Miami at the South Florida Collegiate in Tampa, FL. Johnson, a wide receiver on the Hurricanes’ National Champion football team and co-MVP of this season’s Rose Bowl, finished first with a time of 10.68 marking his first win of the season. Wise easily outdistanced the field in recording his first win of the season. Wise registered a mark of 51.54 meters (169-01.00), which was nearly 19 feet farther than FIU’s Peter Marrero who finished second with a throw of 42.74 meters (140-03.00). The Hurricanes had several second-place finishers including sophomore Aaron Bass in the pole vault (4.57 meters/15-00.00), sophomore Russell Landy in the long jump (5.72 meters/18-09.25), junior Kenny Frank (Pomona, NY) in the 110-meter hurdles (14.67) and the 4×100-meter relay (40.72) of sophomore Willis McGahee, Johnson, freshman Roscoe Parrish (Miami Senior) and freshman Tanard Davis.

MEN’S FOOTBALL

The Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach District is having a fun-filled family event and charity softball game for National DARE Day, Saturday, April 27, 2002. For the 10th year in a row, The University of Miami Football Team will take on the Community Business All-Stars and UM Coaches in a benefit softball game to raise money for youth programs in Deerfield Beach. The event will take place at the Deerfield Beach Middle School athletic complex, located at 701 SE 6th Avenue. Pre-game activities begin at 5:00 p.m. and the first pitch will be thrown at 7:00 p.m. Pre-game activities include a bounce house, hayrides, and games. For more information contact the Community Relations Office at 305-284-4609.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The University of Miami men’s basketball team held its annual awards banquet Thursday at the Mayfair House Hotel in Coconut Grove, FL. Miami, which recorded its eighth consecutive winning season, finished with an 24-8 overall record, 10-6 in the Big East, and reached the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in the last five seasons. The Hurricanes established several school-records last season including victories (24), three-point field goals (236), three-point field goal attempts (684) and blocked shots (190). Among the award winners were James Jones as the Outstanding Student-Athlete, Darius Rice as the leading scorer, and Marcus Barnes, who was a member of the All Big-East Tournament Team.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...