Sports Briefs

MEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Junior Andre Johnson won the 100-meters, and senior Gerald Wise took first in the javelin to lead the University of Miami at the South Florida Collegiate in Tampa, FL. Johnson, a wide receiver on the Hurricanes’ National Champion football team and co-MVP of this season’s Rose Bowl, finished first with a time of 10.68 marking his first win of the season. Wise easily outdistanced the field in recording his first win of the season. Wise registered a mark of 51.54 meters (169-01.00), which was nearly 19 feet farther than FIU’s Peter Marrero who finished second with a throw of 42.74 meters (140-03.00). The Hurricanes had several second-place finishers including sophomore Aaron Bass in the pole vault (4.57 meters/15-00.00), sophomore Russell Landy in the long jump (5.72 meters/18-09.25), junior Kenny Frank (Pomona, NY) in the 110-meter hurdles (14.67) and the 4×100-meter relay (40.72) of sophomore Willis McGahee, Johnson, freshman Roscoe Parrish (Miami Senior) and freshman Tanard Davis.

MEN’S FOOTBALL

The Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach District is having a fun-filled family event and charity softball game for National DARE Day, Saturday, April 27, 2002. For the 10th year in a row, The University of Miami Football Team will take on the Community Business All-Stars and UM Coaches in a benefit softball game to raise money for youth programs in Deerfield Beach. The event will take place at the Deerfield Beach Middle School athletic complex, located at 701 SE 6th Avenue. Pre-game activities begin at 5:00 p.m. and the first pitch will be thrown at 7:00 p.m. Pre-game activities include a bounce house, hayrides, and games. For more information contact the Community Relations Office at 305-284-4609.

MEN’S
BASKETBALL

The University of Miami men’s basketball team held its annual awards banquet Thursday at the Mayfair House Hotel in Coconut Grove, FL. Miami, which recorded its eighth consecutive winning season, finished with an 24-8 overall record, 10-6 in the Big East, and reached the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in the last five seasons. The Hurricanes established several school-records last season including victories (24), three-point field goals (236), three-point field goal attempts (684) and blocked shots (190). Among the award winners were James Jones as the Outstanding Student-Athlete, Darius Rice as the leading scorer, and Marcus Barnes, who was a member of the All Big-East Tournament Team.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...