Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

The 2002 NFL Draft takes place tomorrow and Sunday in New York. Pro football’s newest franchise, the Houston Texans, hold the first pick and are expected to take Fresno State quarterback David Carr. Several Hurricanes, meanwhile, are expected to hear their names called during the two day festivities. ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr, projects offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie and cornerback Phillip Buchanon to be drafted in the top 10. Tight End Jeremy Shockey has been widley considered as the best tight end in the draft, while safety Ed Reed may also be taken off the board before the end of the first round. Other Hurricanes who will likely make the move to the NFL, include offensive linemen Martin Bibla and Joaquin Gonzalez, safety James Lewis, and running back Clinton Portis, who CBS Sportsline.com calls “a second-round steal.”

WOMEN’S ROWING

This weekend, the Hurricanes travel Oak Ridge, Tennessee, as the team competes in the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships, which take place tomorrow and Sunday. The Hurricanes varsity eight is coming off a second place finish at the FIRA State Championship, while the junior varsity four were victorious in their state championship meet. This weekend marks the final tournament for Miami before they head north to the Big East Championships in Worchester, Massachusetts, on Apr. 28. The Central Region/Lexus Sprints, also in Oak Ridge, take place on May 18th and 19th.

WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

The University of Miami women’s track and field team debuted at No. 17 in the Trackwire Top-25 rankings released Wednesday. Miami has six individuals and two relays currently on the NCAA list. Leading the way for the Hurricanes is senior All-American Kareen Clarke, who ranks nationally in both the long jump and triple jump. Freshman Lauryn Williams, who earned All-America honors in the 60-meters during the indoor season, ranks fourth in the nation in the 100-meters (11.44). Senior Wylleshia Myrick, a 2000 All-American in the 200-meters, has the 12th fastest 200-meter time in nation this season (23.59). The Hurricanes have also received strong performances from juniors Saraque Whittaker and Jamillah Wade. Whittaker, an NCAA qualifier last season, ranks 13th in the nation in the 400-meters (53.31) while Wade, the defending Big East Champion in the 400-hurdles, ranks 21st in the nation in the event (58.97).

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...