News Briefs and Campus Calendar

The deadline for current students to sign-up for on-campus housing for the 2002-2003 academic year is today. Beginning on April 22nd, current students requesting on-campus housing will be placed on a waiting list should a vacancy become available. To apply for on-campus housing, visit the Department of Residence Halls office-Room. 153 in Eaton Residential College. For more information, call (305) 284-4505 or e-mail

The greek Apple polishing Ceremony took place Tuesday at the Faculty Club. Certificates were given to all greeks maintaining above a 3.5 GPA. president Shalala and Dr. Patricia Whitely, Vice President for Student Affairs were on hand to congratulate students and faculty.

The Professor of the year award went to Dr. Alexander Perez-Pons from the Business School and Tricia Shatley from Orientation and Commuter Affairs received the award for Admistrator of the Year.

UM’s School of Education was ranked in the top 50 in U.S. News & World Report’s annual list of the country’s “Best Graduate Schools.”

The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.
Sign-up for on-campus housing!
All week, April 16-22 there will be an Alumni trivia contest from 10a.m.-2p.m. in the UC Breezeway for a grand drawing for a $100 gift certificate to All Sports. Stop by the UM Ambassador Table for entry forms.

Conference on Current Debates in Puerto Rican Culture and Politics

The Center for Latin American Studies, The Puerto Rican Professional Association of South Florida, and Frances NegrUn-Muntaner is hosting The Puerto Rican “VacilUn,” A Conference on Current Debates in Puerto Rican Culture and Politics in the Storer Auditorium. The three day conference (18-22) includes speeches and panel discussions from professors from around the country and special events. This conference is free and open to the public. To register or for more information, contact Diane Just at 305-284-1854.

Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a Pinkyland at the Rock from 11:30a.m.-2:30p.m. as part of their “So fresh and so clean with pink and green” skee week.

The last speaker of the Department of Art and Art History’s Euro Art Today lecture series will be Barbara Steiner, who will discuss Contemporary Art in Germany, 6:30 p.m., today in room 180 of the Whitten Learning Center. Steiner has studied Art History at the University of Vienna, and is currently the Director of the Gallery for Zeitgen^ssische Kunst in Leipzig. For more information call 305-284-2542.

Friday Groove on the UC Patio from 11:30a.m.-1p.m. “SmokingPit”

Happy Hour at the Rat from 4:30-8p.m.

Sat April 20

Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a B-B-Q at 2-5p.m., location to be announced.
Free Princeton Review practice tests (MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, GRE) at 11a.m. Please RSVP the Princeton review at 305-662-1464.

Tues April 23

CAC Film, “Lord of the Rings.”

The last PRSSA meeting of the semester will meet at 4:30 p.m. in UC 245. Guest speaker will be Mark Pray, Assistant Athletic Director for the Hurricanes. Executive board elections will be held and refreshments will be served.

Wed April 24

Arab-Israeli Conflict: Fact vs. Fiction talk in the Flamingo Ballroom B at 5p.m.
Games night at the Rat, 7-9p.m.

Fri April 26

Finals are approaching and so is crunch-time stress. If you are feeling overwhelmed with your studies, we can help! Join the folks at the Wellness Center for a relaxing day of movies and popcorn at the center Atrium. For more information contact 305-284-6524.

Friday groove on Patio from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.

Happy Hour at the Rat from 4:30-8p.m.

Classes End at 11p.m.!

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...