Is Bush a leader?

I have never respected George W. Bush as a president. I am outspoken on this point and still wonder how such a buffoon could have duped the nation and taken hold of such a significant office.

It may be true that he handled the Sep. 11th tragedy well, and for a while even I refrained from criticism. However, I cannot be silent anymore, especially after his most recent action.

First, let me set the scene. Last week, yet another suicide bombing took place in Israel killing some and wounding many. This event is just a drop in the bucket of incredible violence and tension that the Middle East has seen in the last months. However, it is also one of the most important because of its timing.

As it stands recently, much of the Middle East, Europe, and several other countries are skeptical at best about America’s involvement with Israel and our “war on terror.” These countries do not feel that America is an uninterested party seeking out world peace and safety, and we are losing their support.

So what does this have to do with George “Dubbya” Bush? Well, at a moment when the entire world was in danger, when conflicts were escalating and peace talks were falling through, when everyone was looking for a strong leader to trust in, Bush left the White House for Camp David.

I only have two questions. First, how can a man dodge his responsibility at a time when the world needs him the most? And second, when will this daddy’s boy, oil company puppet, dim wit, half-qualified, poor excuse for a president actually step up and become a leader?

I am absolutely furious that the President of the United States of America would dare leave the White House when a conflict is raging that threatens the entire world-even if he can make the same decisions from his Maryland presidential retreat.

Why is it so important that he be in the White House? Well, the fact is that the White House is the place where the public looks for comfort, expecting to see their leader at his desk doing his job. It is the symbol of his authority and of our nation’s security, and when those are questioned, we turn all of our attention to the White House, trusting in the president to handle the situation properly.

And when we looked to the president, he was nowhere to be found. His leaving is comparable to a fireman taking a break for lunch while someone’s house is burning down. No matter how short his retreat was, the president should have the good sense to change plans when millions of people hung in the balance.

Travis Atria is a sophomore majoring in English literature.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...