News Briefs and Campus Calendar

Several programs at the School of Medicine are listed in U.S. News & World Report’s annual list of the country’s “Best Graduate Schools,” which is on news stands this week. Highlights include:
* the graduate program in physical therapy is ranked third nationally;
* the AIDS program moved up to the eighth spot this year;
* the audiology program maintained its 28th spot;
* as a whole, the School of Medicine entered the top 50 in terms of research.

Be there LIVE to see us give away $10,000!
UMIQ is an all student Televised Game Show Tournament with teams composed of students from Mahoney, Pearson, Eaton, Stanford, Hecht, the Apartments, the Commuters and the Greeks. These eight teams began the Tournament in Nov. 2001 but now only the Greeks and Apartments remain.
COME BE A PART OF A LIVE TV GAME SHOW AUDIENCE! LIVE from the School of Communication Courtyard tomorrow at 6:30 PM. Visit them on the web:

School of Architecture students will display dozens of drawings and models inspired by the Renaissance figure Michelangelo through April 18 at the School of Architecture Gallery. The School of Architecture Gallery is free and open to the public 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.

All week, April 16-22 there will be an Alumni trivia contest from 10a.m.-2p.m. in the UC Breezeway for a grand drawing for a $100 gift certificate to All Sports. Stop by the UM Ambassador Table for entry forms.

The annual Greek Community Apple Polishing Ceremony which honors outstanding students, professors, and administrators, will take place today at the Faculty Club. For more information call Dean of Students Office at 305-284-5353

Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a movie night at the Rathskeller at 8 p.m.
Distinguished Alumni Lecture Series featuring Barry Richard at 6:30 p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. RSVP by contacting Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

Earth Alert is holding its annual Earthday celebration “Earthfest” from 11a.m.-4 p.m. on the UC Patio.

The Otto G. Richter Library will have a used book sale 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. in Brockway Hall. Books will be priced from 50 cents up, most $1 or less; nearly all $5 or less. For further information, call Jay Kalvan at 305-284-3368.

CAC Film from 8-11p.m.

Wed April 17

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. A part of the “So fresh and so clean with pink and green” skee week there will be a poetry night at 8p.m. at the Rathskeller.

The Living Wage Coalition will be holding a Living Wage Speak-Out and demonstration on the Rock from 11:45a.m. -12:45p.m.

The Otto G. Richter Library will have a used book sale 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. in Brockway Hall. Books will be priced from 50 cents up, most $1 or less; nearly all $5 or less. For further information, call Jay Kalvan at 305-284-3368.

Comedy Night at the Rathskeller from 7-9p.m.

Thurs April 18

The Greater Miami’s Hillel’s Israel Programming Council will be hosting Yom Ha’atzmaut (Israel Independence Day) at UM from 11a.m. until 2p.m. today on the UC Patio.
Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a Mr. So Fresh and So Clean, male auction from 7-9p.m. at the UC International Lounge.

Hurricane Productions welcomes film director John Waters to campus at 7p.m. for a lecture at The Storer Auditorium. The lecture is free to students and $10 at the door for all others. For more information call Hurricane productions at 305-284-4606.

Fri April 19

Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a Pinkyland at the Rock from 11:30a.m.-2:30p.m. as part of their “So fresh and so clean with pink and green” skee week.
Friday Groove on the UC Patio from 11:30a.m.-1p.m.

Sat April 20

Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a B-B-Q at 2-5p.m., location to be announced.
Free Princeton Review practice tests (MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, GRE) at 11a.m. Please RSVP the Princeton review at 305-662-1464.

Wed April 24

Games night at the Rat, 7-9 p.m.

Fri April 26

Finals are approaching and so is crunch-time stress. If you are feeling overwhelmed with your studies, we can help! Join the folks at the Wellness Center for a relaxing day of movies and popcorn at the center Atrium. For more information contact 305-284-6524.

Classes End at 11p.m.!

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

Human Rights Watch says the government’s denial of the crisis worsens the suffering of its people. ...

The Hurricanes fell in dramatic fashion to Loyola Chicago in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. ...

The University of Miami rowing team will open its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invit ...

The Miami Hurricanes will be looking for their fourth series win of the spring when they open up a w ...

Senior Wally Layland started the final diving meet of her career in spectacular fashion Wednesday ni ...

The eighth-seeded Miami women's basketball team begins its fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament a ...