Where to go?

What are you doing this weekend? If you answered a) the Grove, b) the Beach, or c) all of the above, then you’ll probably run into a bunch of students who claim the Grove and the Beach to be favorite nighttime hangouts.

So which of these hot spots is better? It all depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re tight on cash and are just looking for a bar at which you can casually hang out, you’d probably have a good time at the Grove. But if you want more selection for clubs and dining, and feel like dressing up and being seen, then you’d probably bypass the Grove and hit the Beach. What did other students pick?

Here are some of their favorite places:

GROVE: Monty’s

Monty’s is a tropical outdoor restaurant and bar, where live bands play island music at night. The parties are free, and Friday afternoons are busy for happy hour from 5-8 p.m.

“Monty’s is a place to relieve all that pent up weekly stress over some drinks and conversation with all of your friends,” said freshman Chris Nolte.

GROVE: Tavern

The Tavern is a student favorite, where a tight budget can lend itself to a good time. It provides a casual atmosphere and attracts mostly the beer-drinking crowd.

“The Tavern was an emotional rollercoaster. I laughed, I cried, I vomited due to the ridiculous amount of alcohol I consumed,” said junior Matthew Conway. “The Tavern is definitely a Coconut Grove original.”

GROVE: Improv

The Improv Comedy Club is unique to the Grove in that it is Miami’s best place to see famous comedians. Weekend shows are Friday at 8:30 and 10:45 p.m. and Saturday at 7:45 and 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. All shows for crowds 21 and over except for the Saturday midnight show, which is 18 and over.

“I love going to the Improv because it’s something to do where you can just relax and have a good laugh, and it’s a great alternative to the movie,” said sophomore Natalie Rico.

SOBE: Level

1235 Washington Ave.

Level is a South Beach club based on the format of Studio 54. It is for revelers 21 and over and features Latin-Euro sounds on Wednesdays, retro night on Thursdays, and international disc jockeys and live shows on the weekends.

“Level is my favorite South Beach club because the bouncers are really cool,” said freshman Mark Juliano.

SOBE: Honey

645 Washington Ave.

Honey is one of Washington Avenue’s newest tenants, and it is quickly gaining popularity. One thing that attracts club-goers is its sophisticated, posh atmosphere and European-style music.

“I love Honey because it’s somewhere I can get dressed up to go to. It’s more of a lounge than a club, and there is a great crowd,” said freshman Yasmina Abajas.

SOBE: Lincoln Road

Lincoln Road is a South Beach street where one can find everything from excellent restaurants to boutiques to one of Miami’s best movie theatres. It is just as right to dress formally as it is to wear rollerblades and a swimsuit at any time of day. Since it’s leisurely, unlike Ocean Drive, one can enjoy the street performers and craft vendors that line the famous strip.

“I like Lincoln Road because of the amount of interesting people there at the same time. Besides people, there’s tons of restaurants, shops, and eclectic boutiques,” said freshman Cindy Wong.

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...