Student ‘reject’ art show debuts

Salon des Refuses was the place where late 19th century Impressionist painters exhibited their works when they were rejected from The Academy, according to art student Marc Johnson.

The Alternative or Egalitarian Art Show, presented by Salon des Refuses and organized by Johnson, is being put on in the same strain, he said.

The show, taking place on Friday, April 26 at 7:30 in the Rainbow Building, will be exhibiting student art works not accepted by the annual student exhibition at the Lowe as well as others.

“With the exception of the yearly Lowe art show, there is nothing for the art students. There should be a monthly, rotating exhibition and whoever wants to exhibit their work should be able to. One showing is not enough,” Johnson said.

Johnson, as well as other art students, are putting together the show because they believe that there should be a greater forum for art students to exhibit their work, he said.

“A lot of really interesting art doesn’t get into the mainstream exhibitions,” said art professor, Kathleen Staples. “This is a terrific opportunity to see the exciting work our student artists are doing.”

“[The Alternative Art Show] is a long time overdue,” said art professor Walter Hines. It has been 10 years since the last student-run student exhibition was held, he said.

“I believe a student run exhibition can be better than a juried, official show. Hopefully, if this event goes well, student exhibitions will become a recurring event,” Johnson said.

He also said he hopes that this showing will be the first step towards a greater appreciation for the arts on campus.

Johnson contrasted the lack of interaction amongst art students with that amongst those in the School of Music.

“The music students have great opportunities. There are recitals concerts nightly,” he said. “Hence, the students not only get a chance to see performances, but interact with their peers outside the classroom.

“This interaction is an important part in the process of learning and I feel that the undergraduate are students are deprived of such opportunities,” he said.

“It is important in art for students to take their own initiative,” Hines said.

“I would like to see the community more interested in the arts, and the and the artists and the art department taking more initiative in displaying work,” Johnson said. “We are taking it upon ourselves to exhibit the unaccepted. There is talent on campus, but we will never know if we are not given the opportunity to exhibit.”

All student art works will be accepted as long as they are submitted by Wed., April 24. The Rainbow Building is located on 1540 LeVante Ave, behind the Titanic Brewery.

For more information please contact Marc Johnson at m.johnson7@umiami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...