Sports Briefs

MEN & WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

The University of Miami will host the 16th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic tomorrow at Cobb Stadium. Field events are scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. with track events starting at noon. The meet will be the final home track event of the season for the Hurricanes. After the meet, Miami has road meets in Gainesville and Philadelphia before the Big East Champion-ships, which take place May 3-5 in Storrs, Connecticut. Joining the Hurricanes at this year’s Classic will be a strong field including Bethune-Cookman, Florida International, Kansas State, St. John’s, South Florida, Tulane and Villanova.
ROWING

This past weekend, the University of Miami women’s rowing team split up to compete in two separate events, the San Diego Crew Classic on the west coast, and the FIRA State Championships in Tampa. The Hurricane Varsity Women’s eight competed in the San Diego Crew Classic, placing 12th in the prestigious invitational Jessup Whittier Cup. In the event’s petite final, the University of Miami women finished in fifth place with a time of 6:57.49, ahead of the US Naval Academy (7:06.43) and Tulsa (7:11.73). Meanwhile, on the East Coast, the remaining team members competed in the FIRA State Champion-ships. The Hurricane Women’s Varsity Eight was edged out in a narrow finish by the Varsity Eight from the University of Central Florida. The day was additionally highlighted by a win by the junior varsity four. The crew gained immediate control of the race and won going away in a time of 8:02.1, nine seconds ahead of the next crew from the University of Central Florida (8:11.7). The Hurricanes captured an additional two silver medals in the women’s Freshman/Novice Eight and Four events. The Hurricanes will race again on April 20-21 at the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.

WOMEN’S
SOCCER

Tonight, Miami concludes their spring schedule with a 7 p.m. match at FAU Glades in Boca Raton. The Hurricanes are coming off a 10-9-1 overall record last season, including a third place finish in the BIG EAST Northeast division. Additionally, Miami made a NCAA Tournament appearance for the first time in school history. The Hurricanes will also be aided by six new freshman in 2002, all of which are members of the Region III and Region IV Olympic Development Programs (ODP) teams and pools. The signing class includes Ashley Durkee (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), Jackie Garcia (Miami, Fla.), Jessica Keller (Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Jyene Mack (Ventura, Calif.), Lindsey Yach (Carrollton, Texas), and Brittani Zonker (Littleton, Colo.). The regular season begins at home against Stetson on Aug. 30.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...