News Briefs and Campus Calendar

To the graduating seniors of 2002, To cover significant spring events and sports, including commencement, the staff of the IBIS in conjunction with the Board of Student Publications has decided to deliver the 2001-2002 IBIS in late August via mail. To receive a copy of the yearbook, you must go to the Student Section of the IBIS webpage ( ) and input the address where you would like to receive your yearbook. Seniors who register before May 1, 2002, will not need to pay for shipping. Those registering after May 1, 2002, will be charged for shipping (approx. $4.50 in the United States). If you have any questions, please e-mail and a member of the yearbook staff will answer in a timely manner.

The office of the Provost and the International Advancement Center are pleased to announce the 2002 Excellence in Teaching Award recipients:
Sanjeev Chatterje, School of Arts and Sciences, Broadcasting
David Janos, College of Arts and Sciences, Biology
Bruce Miller, College of Arts and Sciences, Theatre Arts
Arun Sharma, School of Business, Marketing
Donald Spivey, College of Arts and Sciences, History
Maria Stampino, College of Arts and Sciences, Foreign Languages
Kay Tatum, School of Business, Accounting.

The deadline for current students to sign-up for on-campus housing for the 2002-2003 academic year is Friday, April 19th. Beginning on April 22nd, current students requesting on-campus housing will be placed on a waiting list should a vacancy become available. To apply for on-campus housing, visit the Department of Residence Halls office-Room. 153 in Eaton Residential College. For more information, call (305) 284-4505 or e-mail

School of Architecture students will display dozens of drawings and models inspired by the Renaissance figure Michelangelo through April 18 at the School of Architecture Gallery. The School of Architecture Gallery is free and open to the public 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.

Sign-up for on-campus housing!

Hui Aloha: Pacific Night tonight at 6:30-10p.m. on the UC Patio with Hula, Polynesian revue, craft sale, authentic Hawaiian food, DJ Sage, door prizes and more…

Kids-N-Culture: Want to be a mentor for a day? Sign-up for Kids-n-culture and hang out with the 4th graders from Little River Elementary from 9a.m.-3p.m. today. For more information call 305-284-GIVE.

The Committee on Student Organizations (COSO) is accepting applications for the 2002-2003 year. Interested in getting involved? Pick-up an application in UC 209, the STIC. Applications must be returned by today. Need more information? Check out our site at

I-WEEK: “Carnival” – Caribbean Day on patio from 12p.m.-5p.m.

I-WEEK: “Onipa’a Kakou” – Pacific Night on patio from 7p.m.-10p.m.

I-WEEK island party at the Rat from 10p.m.-2a.m.

Sun April 14
Alpha Kappa Alpha is having A Splash of Pink Pool Party from 2-5p.m. at the UC pool as part of their “So fresh and so clean pink and green” skee week

Alumni Appreciation Week
(April 15-22 there will be Alumni Trivia Contests from 10a.m.-2p.m. in the UC Breezeway).

Mon April 15
Summer housing sign-up starts today.

Alpha Kappa Alpha will have a Green Apple A Day, Health forum as part of the”So fresh and so clean with pink and green” skee week at the Wellness Center from 5-7p.m.

Alumni in training lunch on the UC patio from noon (free lunch to first 300 students).

Tues April 16
The annual Greek Community Polishing Ceremony which honors outstanding students, professors, and administrators, will take place today at the Faculty Club. For more information call Dean of Students Office at 305-284-5353

Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a movie night at the Rathskeller at 8p.m..

Distinguished Alumni Lecture Series featuring Barry Richard, AB’64, JD’67 at 6:30p.m. at the Lowe Art Museum. RSVP by contacting Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

Earth Alert is holding its annual Earth day celebration “Earthfest” from 1a.m.-4p.m. on the UC Patio.

Wed April 17
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. : A part of the “So fresh and so clean with pink and green” skee week there will be a poetry night at 8p.m. at the Rathskeller.

The Living Wage Coalition will be holding a Living Wage Speak-Out and demonstration on the Rock from 11:45a.m.-12:45p.m.

Thurs April 18
The Greater Miami’s Hillel’s Isreal Programming Council will be hosting Yom Ha’atzmaut (Israel Independence Day) at UM from 11a.m. until 2p.m. today on the UC Patio.

Alpha kappa alpha is having a Mr. So Fresh and So Clean, male auction from 7-9p.m. at the UC International Lounge.

Free Princeton Review Practice Tests (for seniors only) : MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, GRE) at 11a.m. Please RSVP the Princeton review at 305-662-1464.

Hurricane Productions welcomes film director John Waters to campus at 7p.m. for a lecture at The Storer Auditorium. The lecture is free to students and $10 at the door for all others. For more information call Hurricane productions at 305-284-4606.

Fri April 19
Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a Pinkyland at the Rock from 11:30a.m.-2:30p.m. as part of their “So fresh and so clean with pink and green” skee week.

Sat April 20
Alpha Kappa Alpha is having a B-B-Q at 2-5p.m., location to be announced.

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...

After an outstanding outdoor debut, Kayla Johnson sas named ACC Women's Outdoor Field Performer ...