Students share views of on campus housing

March 25th marked the beginning of the fall housing sign-up, kicking off with apartment sign up, and following up with suites, towers, and summer school housing respectively.

Students received letters in early March from the Department of Residence Halls outlining the advantages that the forty percent of the student population living on campus have.

On campus living provides an opportunity to participate in various student clubs and organizations as well as events.

“As a commuter student I wasn’t involved in organizations, but when you live on campus, whether you like it or not, you’re faced with events, you’re aware of everything. It’s easier to join a lot of things,” said junior Michael Rubino, a former commuter turned dorm resident.

The on campus community provides the opportunity to interact with other students via residential activities and close living space, Erica Shinholser, a sophomore, said.

“My social life definitely revolves around the dorm and people that I work with and live with,” Shinholser said.

“I learn a lot more about myself by interacting with different people in reaction to different personalities,” said Rubino.

Ted Dallman, a three-year Rosborough Tower resident says that “the communal bathrooms, like any bathroom, can really stink sometimes, but at least I don’t have to clean them – UNICCO does, and it’s also the trick to meeting everyone on your floor.”

Some students feel that living on campus not only enhances their lives socially but academically as well. Easy access to computer labs, resident faculty, and the closeness of classrooms and the library are convenient for on campus students.

“I’ve adapted quite well to living on campus. I think a big part of being happy is choosing the right person to live with and realize that every morning you can wake up 5 minutes before class and still be on time,” Dallman said.

The social dormitory atmosphere can be distracting,however, on campus residents said.

Freshman Allison Adamo, Miami resident, admitted that distractions could hinder academics.

“I usually go home and study. It’s a lot easier to be distracted here because there is so much going on,” Adamo said.

Chartwells, the dinning hall, although convenient, lacks the variety and quality some students demand, they said.

Stephanie Halpin, a sophomore in Mahoney says that living on campus also means having “a place to eat all the time – even though some students don’t regard Chartwells as food, you don’t have to worry about where to go when you’re hungry.”

“Chartwells after two years gets kind of old…The opportunity [to cook]is there, but I’d rather use my own kitchen than someone else’s kitchen,” said Shinholser.

Rubino provided this advice to those planning to live on campus.

“By living on campus you get to experience the true college atmosphere,” said Rubino. “Be open. Prepare yourself to experience a lot of different things.”

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...