Sports Briefs

TRACK AND FIELD

University of Miami senior Gus Martin finished 10th in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.28 at the 75th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, TX. In the pole vault competition, UM senior Aaron Moser finished sixth with a leap of 5.10 meters (16-08.75) while junior Jabari Ennis took ninth with a vault of 4.95 meters (16-02.75). On the women’s side, University of Miami All-American Kareen Clarke finished second in the triple jump with an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 13.28 meters (43-07.25). The 4×200-meter relay finished fifth in a time of 1:37.76, while the 4×100-meter relay took seventh with a time of 45.50. The 4×400-meter relay finished eighth with a time of 3:44.02. Miami returns to action on Saturday, April 13 when it hosts the 16th Annual Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic at Cobb Stadium for Soccer, Track and Field in Coral Gables, FL.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The No. 27-ranked Miami women’s tennis team fell, 4-3, to No. 66 Michigan in a close match Friday afternoon in Ann Arbor, Mich. Miami falls to 11-5 overall while Michigan improves to 8-8 on the season.
The Wolverines won the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Marcy Hora and Mari Toro beat Michelle DaCosta and Leanne Rutherford, 9-8 (3) at No. 1 doubles to avoid the sweep. Toro defeated Kavitha Tipirneni, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 6-2, at the No.1 spot, while Staci Stevens beat Chrissie Nolan, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 3 singles. Sara Robbins was the other singles winner for UM, beating Kim Plaushines, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 6 spot. Sihem Bennacer and Ewelina Skaza both fell in three hard fought sets at No. 4 and No. 5 singles. The Hurricanes play No. 23 Notre Dame Sunday at Noon in South Bend, Indiana

WOMEN’S GOLF

University of Miami sophomore Camilla Hilland recorded her second consecutive 2-under-par 70 on Saturday and shot a 79 on Sunday to win the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship by one stroke with a score of 219. Hilland, who has recorded five top-10’s in eight events this season, is the first Hurricane since Tracy Kerdyk in 1988 to win the state championship. Florida State’s Kristin Tamulis of FSU (71-75-74-220) finished in second place. Florida State (293-300-307-900) won the team competition by eleven strokes over defending champion Florida (305-294-312-911). Miami (311-301-318-930) finished in fourth place.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...