Intramural basketball showcases All-Stars

Greek All Star Game

Pi Kappa Alpha 78 All Star Greeks 74

Thursday night featured the Greek champions from Pi Kappa Alpha, in a showdown for supremacy and pride, battling against a squad comprised of All Star Greeks from other fraternities. The first half was a battle, with neither team taking much of an advantage. The All Star Greek team was being led by Dax Pedraza, who finished with 22 points, three assists, and two steals. However, the tides quickly changed as Ray “Heatwave” Guthrie of Pike scorched the nets in the final 1:30 of the half, draining 4-of-4 from behind the arc to pull ahead by 12 heading into the intermission. After regaining their composure, the All Star Greeks made a run to overcome the deficit and take a 1-point lead, with “Buddy” Lee Sutta and Jeremy “The Germ” Goad leading the charge with 19 and 10 points respectively. The size and girth of Pike proved to be too much as the game wore on as the Black & Blue Crew of Brett McCullough and Gerard “Olden” Wise dominating the paint with 22 and 17 points. “The Sandman” Jordan Kaplan gave a valiant effort with 10 points and three assists in a losing cause. Adding an all-around game for the victors was Jeff “Grey Poo” Pon of Pike scoring seven while dishing out six assists and pulling down eight key rebounds.

Women’s Campus

Championship Game

Delta Delta Delta 38, Wahine 30

The first half was close, with Wahine holding an early lead. Nadine Elbadramany scored seven of her 11 points in the first half while Wahine used its quickness to press Tri Delta. But the Tri Delts came back behind Mary Leah Sutton and Katie Van Leuwen to take a 23-18 halftime lead.

Wahine started the second half like they did the first and used their press to regain the lead. Chyana Van Dyke, who ended the game with nine points and six rebounds, led the way for Wahine with tough rebounding and clutch foul shooting. Kim Greene chipped in with five points and two rebounds.

Ultimately, Delta Delta Delta’s overwhelming height advantage wore down Wahine. Sutton (16 points, 10 rebounds) pulled down eight boards in the second half to complete her double-double. Van Leuwen (12 points, 7 rebounds) and Tiffany Erickson (8 points, 8 rebounds) also stepped up in the second half. Officially, Tri Delt forfeited the campus championship a week prior; so, Wahine still holds the title.

Eastern Conference Shows

its Muscle

The Eastern Conference All-Stars were victorious in Thursday night’s All-Star game. For the East, Jason Esteves was the (game high) leading scorer with 18 points, with Jeff Zanotti right behind him with 15. Aaron Johnson finished in double digits with 11. Chris “Mr. Shoe Deal” Stephens and Steve Simmons had six a piece.

For the West, Jerry Glover was the leading scorer with 16 points and the only player in double digits. Albert Amini, Justin Rost finished with eightpoints.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...