‘Elements Spring Breakdown’ moves UM

University hip-hop fans were treated to a weekend of emcee battles, disc jockey competitions, and a session of insider advice at “Elements Spring Breakdown” last Friday and Saturday. The cultural event, the first hosted by University of Miami’s Hip-Hop Club, celebrated the roots of the music genre with a list of guests that included Eminem’s former manager, local and national disc jockeys and break dancers.

The free, two-day event was held at the UNIVERSITY CENTER and was open to the public.

Lenny Kagan, a rapper who co-founded the Hip-Hop Club and is a UM alumnus, oversaw the event, which started at 6:30 p.m. with an open floor for break dancing in the breezeway of the University Center.

An open mike for freestyle poetry and spoken word was also part of the music fest.

Later on, a panel of guest speakers, including Mark Kemp, Eminem’s former manager, gathered at the Storm Surge Caf

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...