Campus Calendar and News Briefs

DISTINGUISHED FACULTY AWARD GIVEN TO SUSAN HAACK
All faculty are invited to join the Faculty Senate in honoring Professor Susan Haack as the recipient of its 2002 Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award, 4 p.m., tomorrow, in the Storer Auditorium. As part of the
event, Professor Haack will speak on What Man Can Achieve When He Really Puts His Mind to It: The Value, and the Values, of Science.

WESLEY FOUNDATION
For the minimum of 2 hours/ month, you are entitled to purchase your groceries from SHARE at more than 50% off the grocery store prices. This is the same food available at the store but it is purchased directly from farmers thus the huge savings. Jion in now. For more information contact Rev. Del. Mcintosh at 305-661-1695.

YEAR BOOKS
To the graduating seniors of 2002, To cover significant spring events and sports, including commencement, the staff of the IBIS in conjunction with the Board of Student Publications has decided to deliver the 2001-2002 IBIS in late August via mail. To receive a copy of the yearbook, you must go to the Student Section of the IBIS webpage (www.miami.edu/IBIS ) and input the address where you would like to receive your yearbook. Seniors who register before May 1, 2002, will not need to pay for shipping. Those registering after May 1, 2002, will be charged for shipping (approx. $4.50 in the United States). If you have any questions, please e-mail IBIS@miami.edu and a member of the yearbook staff will answer in a timely manner.

WORKS OF MICHELANGELO ON DISPLAY AT SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE
School of Architecture students will display dozens of drawings and models inspired by the Renaissance figure Michelangelo through April 18 at the School of Architecture Gallery. The School of Architecture Gallery is free and open to the public 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

APRIL IS NATIONAL STI AWARENESS MONTH
The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month. For more information on STI’s or condoms distribution, please contact 305-284-6524.

MENINGITIS VACCINATION CLINICS OFFERED IN BREEZEWAY
Student Health Center will be offering meningitis vaccinations in the Breezeway throughout the month of April for $49.99 (compared to the regular price of $70). Clinics are scheduled for April 11, April 18, and April 25 between 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m. Cash or check will be accepted at the breezeway Clinics. Vaccines will be offered at the Student Health Center throughout the month of April for students who can not attend clinics.

Sign-up for on-campus housing!

Today
In accordance with Holocaust Remembrance Week there will be reading of names of Holocaust Victims from 12-2p.m. at The Rock.

COISO elections: All enrolled international students can vote in the Council of International Students and Organizations’ elections for the 2002-2003 Executive Board, i.e., COISO President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Elections on the Patio from 11a.m.- 2p.m.

CAC film

I-WEEK: “The Perfect Union” – European Day on the Patio from 11a.m.-3p.m.

Wed April 10

The School of Law’s Center for Ethics and Public Service examines law in the media with a panel discussion titled How Journalists Report on the Law and the Legal Profession, 5:15-6:15 p.m., today, in the faculty lounge of the Law School. Panelists will discuss how the media and the legal profession interact, pre-trial publicity, accuracy and fairness in reporting, pubic access to trial information and the direction of legal reporting after September 11th. For more information visit http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2593-1;13003-3,00.html or call
305-284-3934. The event is free and open to the public, and a wine and cheese reception will follow.

I-WEEK: “Independence Day” – Hometown USA on Patio from 11a.m.-3p.m.

Thurs April 11
The Wellness Center will be distributing condoms and educational information in the Breezeway every Thursday during April between 11-a.m.-1p.m. to celebrate national STI Month.

Investing in Uncertain Times is the topic of the 2002 Investment Roundtable, hosted by President Shalala and the Board of Trustees Investments Committee, 3:30-5 p.m., today, at the Storer Auditorium. Speakers include Mario Gabelli, chairman and CEO, Gabelli Asset Management; Gail Seneca, founder and chief information officer, Seneca Capital Management; and Mark Williams, partner, TT International Investment Management. A cocktail reception in the McLamore Executive Education Center will follow. For additional information or to RSVP, call 305-284-6486 or e-mail mailto:eventsmanagement@miami.edu.

I-WEEK: “Latin Quarters” – Latin Day on patio from 11a.m.-3p.m.

Friday April 12
Hui Aloha: Pacific Night tonight at 6:30-10p.m. on the UC Patio with Hula, Polynesian revue, craft sale, authentic Hawaiian food, DJ Sage, door prizes and more…

Kids-N-Culture: Want to be a mentor for a day? Sign-up for Kids-n-culture and hang out with the 4th graders from Little River Elementary from 9a.m.-3p.m. today. For more information call 305-284-GIVE.

The Committee on Student Organizations (COSO) is accepting applications for the 2002-2003 year. Interested in getting involved? Pick-up an application in UC 209, the STIC. Applications must be returned by today. Need more information? Check out our site at www.miami.edu/coso.

I-WEEK: “Carneval” – Caribbean Day on patio from 12p.m.-5p.m.

I-WEEK: “Onipa’a Kakou” – Pacific Night on patio from 7p.m.-10p.m.

I-WEEK island party at the Rat from 10p.m.-2a.m.

Mon April 15
Summer housing sign-up starts today.

Tues April 16
The annual Greek Community Polishing Ceremony which honors outstanding students, professors, and administrators, will take place today at the Faculty Club. For more information call Dean of Students Office at 305-284-5353

Thurs April 18
The Greater Miami’s Hillel’s Isreal Programming Council will be hosting Yom Ha’atzmaut (Israel Independence Day) at UM from 11a.m. until 2p.m. today on the UC Patio.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

View images from the Miami soccer team's senior day match against Notre Dame, as well as shots ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...