Wyche hired as Dean of A&S

University of Miami’s first African-American dean, Dr. James Wyche, will join the College of Arts and Sciences this Aug. 1.

Wyche, an established biology professor and researcher, was also appointed Vice Provost by President Donna Shalala.

According to the Miami Herald, Shalala-who has known Wyche since 1981 when he taught at Hunter College where she was then-president-said that Wyche will restore the College of Arts and Sciences to “pre-eminence on campus.”

As for Wyche, he said that the location and diversity of Miami is what drew him to our “premiere private institution.”

“The University of Miami is in a very important corridor that links North America to the Caribbean and South America,” Wyche said. “Miami is the South East cultural hub.”

Wyche spent 14 years at Brown University as a professor and associate provost in the school’s division of biology and medicine. Most recently, he was interim president of Tougaloo College [a historically black college]in Jackson, Mississippi. He holds a Ph.D. in biology from Johns Hopkins University, an M.A. from Brown University, and a B.S. from Cornell University.

“He’s a big catch for us,” Shalala told the Herald. “He’s very competitive in the marketplace.”

Prior to joining Brown in 1988, Wyche was on the faculty of Hunter College from 1981 to 1988 and the University of Missouri-Columbia from 1974 to1980.

Wyche has served in a number of positions with the National Advisory Research Resource Council, National Institutes of Health, and is extensively published in the field of cellular biology. He is also an active member of the American Society for Cell Biology, American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and has served on various national and international scientific committees.

With his focus on the sciences, Wyche said that the first departments he wants to strengthen are math and chemistry.

“As a new person coming in, obviously I’ll be bringing some of the things from my experience bag. I’d like to take some of the premiere departments like psychology and use them as models and also create natural interfaces between departments to benefit the students and the university,” Wyche said.

Students in the arts may wonder if Wyche will forget them as he builds up the science disciplines. However, Wyche explained that his work as the Executive Director of the Leadership Alliance-a consortium of 23 colleges and universities, including leading research institutions, historically black colleges and six Ivy League schools, whose purpose is to increase graduate enrollment of minority scholars-has given him a lot of experience in other academic areas.

“I’ve had a different set of experiences from other scientists. I was able to get involved with a number of the non-science departments and I certainly want to build on that experience,” Wyche said.

During his tenure at Brown, Dr. Wyche was a proponent of interdisciplinary study and diversity in education, according to a press release sent out by UM Media Relations.

“I’d also like to extend our international outreach. I would like the school [department as of next semester]to work in concert with the other Arts and Sciences departments,” Wyche told the Hurricane.

Wyche said that the one area he feels he needs to cultivate is his relations with UM students.

“It’s something I have to learn a lot more about. I will be trying to link up with grads and undergrads to see what things will embellish their experience. I want to stress programs that lead to leadership,” he said. “We look forward to a good sharing relationship.”

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...