UMTV program takes national award

The UMTV news program, NewsVision, was recently awarded first prize for newscasting in the National Broadcasting Society competition. This is the fifth year the program has placed first in the live newscasting category. UMTV, the on-campus television station, has produced NewsVision for the past ten years.

UMTV Executive Producer Garrett Russo also received an honorable mention in the category of News Package.

“Because the program has won so many times, we have to make it better every year,” said producer of the show and broadcast journalism junior Maureen Capasso. “We are proud to have won it again for UM.”

As recipients of the award, six communication students and two faculty members working on the show were invited to attend the awards ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia.

Chris Osborne, of CNN, was the emcee for the ceremony.

The students attended a four-day conference where personalities of the industry, such as Jeffrey Kofman of ABC News and UM alumnus Brian Hegner of Fox Sports, gave lectures on production, networking, and marketing.

The competition is open to all chapters of AERho, the National Broadcasting Honors Society, of which Capasso is the UM chapter president.

The National Broadcasting Honors Society is very competitive, as over 100 schools have chapters, including the University of Florida and Penn State.

Capasso and Garrett stress the importance of the contributions of the people they work with on the show.

“Carolyn Cefalo, our advisor, is tremendous,” said Capasso. “She keeps us in line, and definitely should be recognized for the success of the show.”

Students participating in UMTV are working hard to make next year’s show even bigger and better.

“It’s important to realize that it’s entirely campus-run,” says Capasso. “The next time you pass someone filming on campus, you might end up on an award-winning show!”

The trophy that NewsVision received will be displayed in the School of Communication.

You can catch NewsVision on channel 24 (on campus) at 7 p.m. on Thursdays.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...