Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The No. 26-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remains undefeated at home beating visiting Central Florida, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes improve to 11-4 overall and 8-0 at home, while the Golden Knights fall to 7-9 overall. UM swept the doubles point winning all three doubles matches. The Hurricanes went on to win five-of-six singles matches.
Senior Marcy Hora won her final home match of the season at the No. 3 spot. Hora beat Marieke Gunawan, 6-0, 6-0. Mari Toro improves to 20-9 overall with a, 6-2, 6-0, win over Emmanuelle Sauze at No. 1 singles.
Staci Stevens beat Anna Westin, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 2 spot, while Ewelina Skaza improved to 11-4 overall with a, 4-6, 6-1, 10-8, win over Kristina Lohmos at No. 5 singles. Sara Robbins rounded out the lineup with a win over Amira Samara, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 6. The Hurricanes return to action travelling to face No. 58 Michigan Friday at 1:30 p.m.

MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Miami senior Jeff Gaulrapp and junior Dan Boniface qualified for the Big East Championships in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, and Matt Mulvaney qualified for the Big East Championships in 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Gaulrapp finished fifth in the steeplechase with a time of 9:10 while Boniface, the school-record holder in the event, took 17th with a time of 9:29. Mulvaney recorded a Big East qualifying time of 31:39 in 10,000-meter run. The University of Miami women’s 4×400-meter relay finished second with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:34.21 Saturday at the Florida Relays, while senior Jennifer Geroux and junior Melissa Norris qualified for the Big East Championships in the 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Miami returns to action April 4-6 at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX.

CANESFEST

Saturday marks the first time fans can see the 2002 Miami Hurricanes as they participate in a scrimmage at the Orange Bowl, part of CanesFest 2002. The fun begins at 8:00 a.m., when gates open. At that time, Select-A-Seat also begins and Hurricane Locker Room and Touchdown Alley both open. Head Coach Larry Coker will participate in a 9:30 a.m. question and answer session in the Athletic Club. The scrimmage begins at 10:00 a.m., and immediately following the game, there will be a 30-minute autograph session with players and coaches.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...