Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The No. 26-ranked Miami women’s tennis team remains undefeated at home beating visiting Central Florida, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes improve to 11-4 overall and 8-0 at home, while the Golden Knights fall to 7-9 overall. UM swept the doubles point winning all three doubles matches. The Hurricanes went on to win five-of-six singles matches.
Senior Marcy Hora won her final home match of the season at the No. 3 spot. Hora beat Marieke Gunawan, 6-0, 6-0. Mari Toro improves to 20-9 overall with a, 6-2, 6-0, win over Emmanuelle Sauze at No. 1 singles.
Staci Stevens beat Anna Westin, 6-0, 6-4, at the No. 2 spot, while Ewelina Skaza improved to 11-4 overall with a, 4-6, 6-1, 10-8, win over Kristina Lohmos at No. 5 singles. Sara Robbins rounded out the lineup with a win over Amira Samara, 7-5, 6-0, at No. 6. The Hurricanes return to action travelling to face No. 58 Michigan Friday at 1:30 p.m.

MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD

Miami senior Jeff Gaulrapp and junior Dan Boniface qualified for the Big East Championships in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, and Matt Mulvaney qualified for the Big East Championships in 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Gaulrapp finished fifth in the steeplechase with a time of 9:10 while Boniface, the school-record holder in the event, took 17th with a time of 9:29. Mulvaney recorded a Big East qualifying time of 31:39 in 10,000-meter run. The University of Miami women’s 4×400-meter relay finished second with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 3:34.21 Saturday at the Florida Relays, while senior Jennifer Geroux and junior Melissa Norris qualified for the Big East Championships in the 10,000-meters at the Raleigh Relays in Raleigh, NC. Miami returns to action April 4-6 at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX.

CANESFEST

Saturday marks the first time fans can see the 2002 Miami Hurricanes as they participate in a scrimmage at the Orange Bowl, part of CanesFest 2002. The fun begins at 8:00 a.m., when gates open. At that time, Select-A-Seat also begins and Hurricane Locker Room and Touchdown Alley both open. Head Coach Larry Coker will participate in a 9:30 a.m. question and answer session in the Athletic Club. The scrimmage begins at 10:00 a.m., and immediately following the game, there will be a 30-minute autograph session with players and coaches.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...