SoBe for the carless

What a dilemma.

It’s Friday, you’re itching for a SoBe night on the town, but you don’t have car, don’t want to ask your friend for yet another ride to the Beach, and cannot afford the $40 cab ride on top of the club cover.

Yes, Miami has probably one of the worst public transit systems on the east coast, but don’t fear. As bad as it may seem, it can cheaply and safely take you to the Beach late at night and bring you back at the crack of dawn.

Start off your trek on the Metrorail, which runs till midnight, and get off at the Government Center station in downtown Miami. Once there, walk about a block and a half from the station to the bus terminal, making your way through a a few of downtown’s wandering penniless denizens and Alzheimer’s patients.

From that platform you’ll take the S or Night Owl bus routes with an eclectic mix of tired Latin American nannies, construction workers, college students, drunkards, waiters and-occasionally-cheap call girls. The bus ride to the Beach is about 20 minutes long. A mild caveat: Don’t’ make the trip alone. While most of the homeless residents are harmless, you might run into an all-too persistent beggar who could give you a good scare.

Fortunately for those who favor late-night dinners and are on a budget constraint-or simply like to kick off the night way after midnight-a number SoBe’s kitchens are open as late as 2 a.m. A few are in full swing 24/7. Puerto de Sagua, on Seventh Street and Collins Avenue, has dinner specials starting off at about $6. I had a delectable chicken platter with rice and beans, a side of plantains. I also ordered a tres leches and caf

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...