Britney needs to grow up

Is Britney Spears a slut or what? I wish she would make up her mind.

Her songs are undeniably catchy and yes, she does get more and more appealing in her physical appearance (implants or no implants), but she is an enigma wrapped inside of a contradiction. She’s either incredibly smart or very oblivious.

Her song titles say it all. First it was her feisty debut single, ‘Baby One More Time.’ Hit what again, Brit? A few songs later, it was the weepy, corny, good-girl anthem, ‘From the Bottom of My Broken Heart.’ Then with her second album, came ‘Oops I Did it Again,’ another catchy pop confection with an apparent double meaning. Did what again exactly? More specifics please! Anyway, the pop princess had no club appeal at this time as she was catapulting to teenybopper stardom.

But wait, just when we think we have her figured out after her second album, in comes the very adult-oriented ‘I’m a Slave 4 U,’ which turns her whole image upside down yet again. Suddenly, she’s this erotic grown-up who, in her video, writhes around with her sweaty dancers in a seeming orgy of body parts and heavy breathing. Talk about owning your sexuality.

I have to say, I loved the song. It’s a groovy little ditty to dance to, as anyone who has been at a club knows: when it comes on, people seem to go crazy. The lyrics seemed to be very sophisticated: “All you people look at me like I’m a little girl…” Well damn, after this, I guess she’s not anymore!

But that’s still not it. Now we arrive to her latest single, another generic and cheesy ballad entitled, ‘I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman,’ from her new movie Crossroads (don’t even get me started on that one). You give us ‘Slave,’ and now you’re telling us you’re still not a woman? I don’t get it.

In every interview I’ve seen, Spears is telling girls to be themselves, because that’s what she is doing. You hear her say that it’s not her responsibility to parent her 12-year-old fan club, she’s just an entertainer who loves doing what she does.

Okay, that’s fine. But when you’re so convoluted as to put out one song screaming sex, sex, sex and then immediately switch it up and come out saying you’re not ready to handle it yet, there’s something wrong– not with your critics, but with you. What does that say to people?

I don’t care what Spears says, for me she’s a contradictory pseudo-nymph who is jerking her fans around and has lost what little respect I did have for her. Maybe she’s in a struggle with her current management and will soon dump them to go off and pursue her own image, as I’ve heard other teen acts doing. Maybe she’s just a really confused girl(?). Don’t get me wrong, I firmly believe in flaunting it if you got it, and Spears has definitely got it in that department.

Whatever the case is, all I’m asking is that she be real with her audience. She needs to own up to what she is conveying to her listeners. Brit may not be a woman yet, but at 20, she is just too damn close to not start acting like one.

Derek Bramble is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism and theater.

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...