SG debates bill to set sanctions

During the first meeting of the new Student Government cabinet, SG senators deliberated last Wednesday whether an Honor Council member should establish sanctions based on precedent.

After almost an hour of discussion, council members decided to hold the item until next Wednesday, when a representative from the Honor Council will be present to answer questions about the workings of the judicial panel.

The debate was triggered by the highly scrutinized case of wide receiver Andre Johnson, who received a mitigated sentence from an appellate committee after the student-run Honor Council recommended he be suspended for two semesters.

Upholding that sanction would have kept the football player off the field when the national champions head out to defend their title this fall.

The Athletics Committee within the Faculty Senate is investigating the case, but it is unclear how much influence they will have on Johnson’s case. Administrators have been reluctant to discuss the case, even in generic terms.

Student Government Senator J.D. Barbosa introduced the bill, which would require that Honor Council members refer to past cases in determining sanctions for students found guilty of violating the Honor Code.

“It should have been the case from the start,” said Barbosa, referring to the Honor Council, a group of 22 full-time undergraduate students appointed by the Selections and Appeals Committee, made up of the Provost, the Vice President for Student Services and the President of Student Government.

Barbosa said that using past cases as guidelines would provide a fairer system by enabling Honor Council members to make their decisions aided by the “facts and evidence” of previously settled cases.

The heaviest opposition came from Senator Michael Holt, who argued that the Honor Council should not necessarily mirror conventional legal systems.

“The system has a fairness mechanism built into it,” said Holt, who reminded fellow council members that the Honor Council is not a team of prosecutors but rather a group of students committed to safeguarding “community and academic standards.”

At the heart of the debate lies the Buckley Amendment, a federal statute that guarantees student records remain confidential albeit a handful of exceptions.

Several Student Government members suggested that Honor Council members get access to nameless briefs of past cases, which would provide a more comprehensive framework with which to rule.

The Council currently reviews each case separately in accordance to the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

In a recent interview, Dean of Students William Sandler told the Hurricane that the Honor Council’s rules are likely to change as a result of the Andre Johnson case.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...