New SG leaders take office

Amid snapping cameras and tears of happiness from proud parents, Student Government [SG] president Michael Johnston was officially sworn in to his position Tuesday afternoon at the Rathskellar.

“You guys have huge shoes to fill,” warned Dr. Patricia Whitely, Vice President for Student Affairs, who ardently praised the accomplishments of last year’s administration under the leadership of former president Jose “Pepi” Diaz.

Johnston aims to boost extracurricular events, raise cultural awareness, and make Student Government more student-friendly.

Johnston says the new SG board already has a strong relationship with the administration, and that friction among past board members have crippled SG teams.

Newly elected Vice President Justin Levine and Treasurer Mahala Dar were on Johnston’s ticket.

The other five cabinet members who were inducted are: Stefanie Hernandez, Speaker of the Senate; Gina Yacone, Speaker pro Tempore; Scott Rubenstein and Rachel Turman, Chiefs of Staff; and Mary Clark, Executive Secretary.

Minutes before the new cabinet members rose their right hands in a pledge of commitment to the SG constitution, Diaz took over the podium to recap some of his achievements and express his gratitude as president for the final time.

“I’ve been proud and humble to be a part of UM,” said DIaz, who later added that Johnston would soon find out “the roller coaster of emotions that comes with the job.”

Part of the job, according to President Donna Shalala, is making sure the university’s president feels the heat.

“Student Government ought to be candid with the [university’s] President,” said Shalala. “I expect this student government to be tough and hold us to high expectations.”

Shalala also mentioned she felt sad to let go of some of the former cabinet members who will graduate in May.

“This was the best group of student government I’ve ever worked with,” marked the president, who also served as president of Hunter College from 1980 to 1987 and as chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison from 1987 to 1993.

Shalala’s last words of encouragement to new cabinet members: “If you survive the year, I will write you each a letter of recommendation.”

When Johnston got his turn to speak, he told the audience, “I’ve gotten used to my speech always being after Pepi’s,” with whom he had a close working relationship.

Johnston says he will ask the administration to expand shuttle rides to Coconut Grove and provide ice machines at residence halls and televisions at dining halls.

Towards the end of his speech, Johnston thanked his parents who were also present.

“Mom, I’m your production,” said Johnston.

“I know Michael will make a difference,” said his mother Vera Johnston. “Even as a child, he’s been a true leader,” she added, lamenting that his hectic agenda allowed her to spend little quality time with her son.

When all was said and done, and parents rose to mingle with their newly-branded offspring, Shalala joked lightly, “Sure sounds like we’re going to have an expensive year.”

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...