Greeks support the blind

The University of Miami’s Delta Gamma [DG] sorority hosted its second annual Grand Slam softball tournament on March 24th at Tropical Park to benefit the blind.

“It’s one day of fun and it’s all for charity, unlike other week-long Greek philanthropy events,” said Shelley Ann Hancock, DG’s Vice President of Foundation.

Kicking off at 1 p.m. in the afternoon, teams from both UM and Florida International University [FIU] tried their hardest to avoid losing twice in the double elimination format.

The fraternities represented included UM’s Sigma Chi, Alpha Sigma Phi, Zeta Beta Tau, Sigma Phi Epsilon and FIU’s Pi Kappa Alpha.

The tournament was played over three fields and finished with two championship games between Pi Kappa Alpha and defending champions Sigma Phi Epsilon at approximately 9:30 p.m.

An exciting championship won by Pi Kappa Alpha marked the end to a great day of camaraderie and achievement.

A portion of each team’s $250 entry fee went to Service for Sight and Aid to the Blind, Delta Gamma’s national philanthropy.

Food donations that helped provide energy for hungry players and supporters were made by Outback Steakhouse, On the Border, Chili’s, and Macaroni Grill restaurants along with the parents of one of the sorority members.

All players enjoyed the offerings especially after a number of intense, uniform-dirtying games in which DG sisters could be heard cheering for their favorite teams.

“It’s surprisingly good competition out here,” said Alpha Sigma player Luis Silvestre whose team took an early exit from the tournament.

The event also unofficially kicked off UM’s Intramural Softball season that starts this Monday.

“We’re looking forward to the season after how well we played today,” said Sigma Phi Epsilon co-captain Sam Montgomery.

“More importantly, it brought the fraternities together for a good cause,” said DG sister Megan Kat.

At the end of the day fraternity brothers along with sorority sisters left the softball diamond with dusty cleats, and achy muscles but most importantly with a check that will help to aid over 40 organizations currently helping blind citizens in the United States.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...