Women’s tennis sweeps weekend

The No. 26 Hurricanes Women’s tennis team (10-4) defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers 7-0, and the Boston College Eagles 6-1, on Saturday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The two wins improved the Hurricanes home record to 7-0 and ended a two game losing streak from a recent road-trip to Texas.

The Mountaineers (3-8) were little competition for the Hurricanes, who dominated them in every aspect of the match.

No.1 singles, Mari Toro, lead the way for the Hurricanes, overpowering her opponent, Anna Underwood, from the outset. Toro’s strong forehand shot seemed to take Underwood by surprise, who made several unforced errors as a result. Toro won the first set 6-0 in under thirty minutes. Toro, who was very aggressive in the first set, seemed a step slower and more defensive in the second set. The two players split the first six games, each taking three games a piece. However, Toro quickly rebounded in the seventh game, pouncing on forehand shots and volleying more at the net. She went on to win the next three games and the set 6-3.

No.2 singles, Marcy Hora, also beat her opponent in a resounding manner, 6-0 6-3. The South Florida native kept her opponent on her toes throughout the match with her spin volleys and baseline shots.

“Marcy has been playing banged up, so its nice for her to go out there and get a win under her belt,” said head coach Paige Yaroshuk. “But overall, I think all the girls played well.”

No. 3 singles, Stacy Stevens, No.4 singles, Sihem Bennacer, No.5 singles Ewelina Skaza, and No.6 singles Igna deVilliers all won their matches in dramatic fashion 6-1 6-2, 6-1 6-1, 6-0 6-1, and 6-2 6-0, respectively.

The Hurricanes No.1, No.2, and No.3 doubles won their matches 8-2, 8-4, and 8-0, respectively to complete the sweep.

“Its always nice to win after you lose a couple,” said coach Yaroshuk. “I think we are significantly better than West Virginia and we came out and just proved that.”

The Hurricanes perpetuated their good play against another Big East rival later that afternoon when they played host to Boston College. The match had been postponed from Friday due to inclimate weather. This was hardly a problem on Saturday, when humidity and heat proved to be the foe instead.

However, the Hurricanes did not seem to lose a heartbeat. Mari Toro improved her singles record to 9-2, as she once again crushed her opponent 6-4 6-0. While No.2 Staci Stevens, No.3 Sihem Bennacer, No.5 Sara Robbins, and No.6 Jessica Pelto, also decisively beat their opponents 6-1 6-3, 6-4 7-6 (10-5), 6-2 6-2, 6-1 4-6 6-0, respectively.

“We practice in these type of conditions everyday. If we ever complain about heat, our girls need to practice more,” said coach Yaroshuk facetiously.

Miami’s No.1 and No.3 doubles tandems beat its opponents 8-1, 8-1, respectively.

The Hurricanes will once again put their undefeated home record on the line when they will play host to UCF on March 31st.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...