Intramural Basketball Championships

Basketball Campus Championship

Banditos Yanquis – 61

Pi Kappa Alpha – 59

UM’s Intramural Basketball Campus Championship game was held last Thursday night, in the Wellness Center’s Main Gym between the Greek Champions Pi Kappa Alpha and the Overall Open Men’s Champion Banditos Yanquis.

The Men’s champs broke out early with a small lead, but Pike gathered themselves and the lead changed hands several times before the half was out. Pike was leading by two at the half.

At the outset of the second half Banditos Yanquis went on a short scoring run and had a four point lead with about 15 minutes left in the half.

From this point on the game went back and forth, with the score being tied and the lead changing on practically every possession. During the struggle, one person from each team had fouled out: Ray Gunthrie from Pi Kappa Alpha and Andy Greenlee from Banditos Yanquis.

Both players were relied on heavily for their defense and scoring abilities. Gunthrie fouled out with 16 points and 4 steals and Greenlee fouled out with 10 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 steal.

With two minutes left in the second half, the game was still up for grabs. With 11 seconds left in the game and Pike down 51-53, they worked it into Brett McCullough who made the shot and got fouled with six seconds. McCullough missed his foul shot, but Banditos Yanquis were not able to convert on their last second shot.

The game went into a three-minute overtime. Overtime was just as close as the previous 15 minutes were. The game came down to 13 seconds with Banditos inbounding the ball in their backcourt and Pike pressing. Banditos made a couple of quick passes and found Mike Zanetty open in front of the basket for an easy two.

Pike took a time out with six seconds left in the game and the score 61-59. Pike inbounded the ball to Jeff Pon who drove the length of the court and put up a lay-up that fell short. Time expired and this year’s Intramural Basketball Campus Champions are the Banditos Yanquis.!

CoRec Championship

Bucs – 50

Ashish – 48

Wednesday night’s CoRec Championship pitted the No. three seed Bucs versus the No. four seed Ashish.

The game was back and forth all first half, with neither team gaining more than a three-point advantage. At the end of the half the Bucs had a two-point lead thanks to the 14 points by Chrissy Moncaleri.

Ashish kept it close thanks to 10 points by Jess Feldman. The second half was more of the same with both teams exchanging one bucket after another.

Reinforcements showed up at the half for both teams, Aaron Johnson for the Bucs and Sam Wilkes for Ashish. Johnson was largely ineffective in the second half, but Wilkes provided a spark that kept Ashish close.

As the game continued to battle with no clear team having an advantage, Dalia Clarke stepped up for the Bucs. She had a monster second half, which made the Bucs pull away towards the end.

Evan Pike from Ashish, would not go down without a fight and brought his team close at the end with a big three-pointer with little time left.

After some missed free throws by the Bucs, Ashish had one last chance to get the tying bucket. With six seconds left Sam Wilkes passed the ball to Jess Feldman who missed a wide open lay-up to tie the game which the Bucs rebounded and ran out the clock giving them a close hard-earned win.

Peak Performers for each team were Dalia Clarke from the Bucs who had 13 points, 14 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 4 steals, and Lindsey Peavey from Ashish who had 21 points, 2 assists, and 5 rebounds.

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...