Mortar Board taps President Shalala

At 9:25 Wednesday morning in the middle of a meeting about commencement, President Shalala was surprised in her office by being tapped for Mortar Board, the second highest honor society on campus.

“What an honor. Do we have initiation on my schedule?” Shalala said.

“Shalala exemplifies everything we stand for. It’s an honor to have her,” Mortar Board president Lilly Guallar said.

” Thank you. I’m thrilled. I was very surprised,” Shalala said.

Mortar Board secretary Ben Young and member Jose Diaz were on hand to welcome Shalala into the club.

With three dings on the triangle by Guallar, a short welcome speech by Young, and the tapping of the mortar board on Shalala’s head by Diaz, she became an official honorary member. Vice president of selection, Lisette Vila, was in charge of organizing the tapping.

“It went really well,” Young said.

“Only 23 students have been chosen to join the new Kappa Tau chapter of Mortar Board,” Young said.

Mortar Board, Inc. is a national honor society that recognizes college seniors for distinguished ability and achievement in scholarship, leadership, and service. It began in 1918 as the first national organization honoring senior college women.

Members must exhibit scholarship, leadership and service and must have excelled within and outside of the university, Guallar said. To be considered students must also have above a 3.4 GPA and be a second semester junior.

The UM Mortar Board chapter organizes book drives, scholarships for students, and trips to elementary schools.

“We like to inspire kids to make it because we’ve made it,” Guallar said.

Their first annual scholarship of $500 went to sophomore Dave Fenster for his academic career, and work inside and out of the classroom, Guallar said.

Mortar Board members voted to tap Shalala and then had to send her resume to the national organization for approval.

Mortar Board chapters across the nation are challenged to provide thoughtful leadership to the campus and community, to create an environment of effective communication, and to move toward a meaningful goal

Each chapter has the autonomy to determine its on implementation of the goals, National Project, and resolutions and recommendation set forth by delegates to the National Conference.

When the Society opened its membership to men in 1975, the organization maintained a tribute to the founders and its heritage by strengthening the Preamble to the Constitution by including a commitment to the advancement of the status of women.

Mortar Board is a national network that includes over 200 chapters, 50 alumni chapters, and 25 sections.

Initiation for new tappees takes place on April 7.

When the 2018 recruiting cycle came to an end in February, Miami, Florida and Florida State all fini ...

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...