UM faces fish in wet weather

There is no better way to prepare a team for the major league baseball regular season than to play an exhibition game against the defending national college baseball champions.

After dropping two of three in a tough West Coast trip last weekend, the Miami Hurricanes (9-6) returned home to play host to the Florida Marlins.

Mother Nature did not cooperate and the game went just three innings before getting postponed due to rain. The ‘Canes mounted a five-run rally in the 3rd inning to tie the game at 5-5 before it was called. Despite the short affair, the Hurricanes came out of the contest with much to be proud of.

Miami held their own for three innings against a major league team, which made the game that much more pleasurable.

“Our guys enjoyed the game. They get very excited when they get the opportunity to play a big league club,” said head coach Jim Morris after the rain-shortened game.

The Hurricanes came out of the gate nervous and trailed 5-0 going into the bottom of the 3rd. However, after loading the bases, Coach Morris went to his bench.

Freshman Joey Hoof hit a two-run single off pitcher Benito Baez to put the Hurricanes on the board at 5-2. After a Paco Figueroa walk to re-load the bases, Marlins pitcher Brian Edmonson came on to try to bail the fish out. Freshman Greg Dini hit a sacrifice fly RBI and Brad Satchik followed with an RBI single to bring the Canes back within a run. A Marlins error allowed Paco Figueroa to score and the game was tied at 5-5 compliments of the Miami freshmen.

“I like the way we battled back from 5 down to tie it up. The young guys did it. They were the ones who came back and got it done,” said Coach Morris.

The Hurricanes started freshman Vince Bongiovanni, who allowed three earned runs in the first inning, but also struck out three Marlins, including Preston Wilson. Bongiovanni held the Marlins scoreless in the second and finished with three hits, three earned runs, one walk and three strikeouts. He also hit two

Freshman Brandon Camardese handled the top of the third inning, allowing three hits, two earned runs, one walk and one strikeout.

Miami returns to regular season action tonight when they open a three game series with the South Florida Bulls at Mark Light Stadium.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...