Letter to the Editor

To the editor:

I write to the athlete who directed an unsolicited slur at me outside the parking garage last Tuesday afternoon (3/5). You were warming up in uniform along with your peers around 3:30 and tastelessly exclaimed “Bin Laden!” when you saw me ascending the stairs.

The sight of my turban probably impelled you to audibly equate me with our modern-day Hitler, and you were obviously unaware that most people who continue to wear turbans outside their homeland are Sikhs.

In fact, we are monotheists from India whose entire religion can be reduced to a holy trinity of divine remembrance, honest work, and selfless charity.

As an athlete who strives to achieve self-discipline by balancing intense physical training with equally rigorous academic obligations, you are held to a higher standard than most people. Courage, strength, and good sportsmanship elevate an athlete to the rank of full-fledged statesman.

Indeed, you are a torchbearer for our University, and a potential role model for thousands of football fans.

I wish you much luck in your endeavors. And I want you to know that your unforgettably hurtful comment thoroughly ruined my day.

Godspeed,

Raj Singh

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...